Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilting Retreat by myself >
  • Quilting Retreat by myself

• Quilting Retreat by myself

Old 01-28-2014, 05:48 PM

Going by myself on Fall in New England Tour late Sept. - have always wanted to see those colors.
    Then IŽll spend a week in NY - already have lots to do and see !
    Old 01-28-2014, 06:05 PM

I joined our guild with my neighbor who ended up moving out of state. At first when she left I was going to quit but I have met many wonderful women in this guild. I did our retreat last year by myself and you really get to know people better. Give it a chance. I'm sure you will meet many friendly quilters. If you have any sew days try that outm to see how comfortable you feel. Good luck.
    Old 01-28-2014, 08:10 PM

Did they mention when their next retreat would be, some have them twice a year? My brother lives in North Florida and that would be nice to do both while heading that way. I am going to two next month that are local, here in central Florida. I go alone, but have the greatest times, I do not care for sewing alone at home, so I get a lot accomplished when around others.

Originally Posted by toverly
    I just returned from a Quilting Retreat put on by Quilting by the Bay in Panama City Beach, FL. I went all by myself and wondered how the weekend would turn out. It was wonderful! I met ladies from all over. If you have ever wanted to go on a retreat and don't have anyone else to go with. Don't hesitate, I think I got more out of it than if I had gone with friends. We shared a table and if I had brought a quilting partner, we would have shared. As it was, my table partner was from Maine. She was lovely! Now I have a new friend. I can describe the Retreat as similar to a cruise. Everything was paid for in advance so once there, no worries. So if you have ever wanted to go, Go!
    Old 01-29-2014, 03:26 AM

And I bet you had no GI upsets either.. Sounds like a great time and what a way to make a new friend.. Thanks for posting this and I will put it in my bucket list..
    Old 01-29-2014, 04:05 AM
    Power Poster

So glad you had a good time
    Old 01-29-2014, 04:13 AM

I drove to a retreat in the nextvstate over and met women who live in my same town. Small world.
    Old 01-29-2014, 12:19 PM

Good for you! I know this sounds strange, but @ the 1st quilt retreat I attended, I was not a quilter and I knew no one. I just wanted to go and it was affordable. I brought some projects and had a great time and met many, many great gals. Fast forward....I have been quilting for 5 years now and some of those original gals are fast friends.
    Old 01-29-2014, 01:25 PM

So glad you had a great time. Since my husband passed away several years ago I have had to make myself go places by myself. It is hard and sometimes I still have to talk myself into it. May my next goal will be a retreat.

Thanks for sharing your adventure with us!
    Old 01-29-2014, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Grandma Cindy
    Did they mention when their next retreat would be, some have them twice a year? My brother lives in North Florida and that would be nice to do both while heading that way. I am going to two next month that are local, here in central Florida. I go alone, but have the greatest times, I do not care for sewing alone at home, so I get a lot accomplished when around others.
    Awesome, come on and join in! They mentioned that the retreat is at the same weekend as next year, I think that's the 3rd weekend in January but no details yet. They have another one in the Fall but I don't know when that one is exactly since I couldn't go, I didn't pay attention. Next year, they plan on Marti Michelle being the Guest Quilter but I don't know if that's finalized. All I know is I'm signing up and going again, whoever it is. I'm sure you could go to their website and find out more. There were 85 quilters total (I think).

I learned that a room of my own is perfect. After socializing all day, I was ready for some quiet time at night. It was worth paying more for that luxury.

Thanks for all the kudos everyone. I hope anyone who goes on one, has a great a time like I did.
    Old 01-29-2014, 05:23 PM

I'm going to a retreat this weekend by myself. This is the 6th year for this retreat, but I always had a roommate. I go to about three or four retreats a year. I am kinda looking forward to having the room to myself. I have never stayed in a motel room by myself and I am 66 years old.