Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilting/Sewing Idiosyncrasies >
  • Quilting/Sewing Idiosyncrasies

• Quilting/Sewing Idiosyncrasies

Old 11-08-2009, 02:53 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by sandpat
    OK...I'll admit that I do tend to save those little scraps of fabric that you snip off like when you are sewing binding or borders together...those triangles and of course all small squares. I use them as "leaders" so my real sewing doesn't get all eaten up when I start to sew...I toss them all in a little scrap catcher that has now grown to an overflowing monster.

I was thinking last night that I might need to save ALL my trimmings...couldn't I then cut them up further into tiny bits and use them somehow in my new found fun technique of shadow trapunto????

I know...sick, just plain sick.... :roll:
    I save all of the little bits that I trim off blocks, corner pieces and such...to make fabric bowls out of... as long as they dont have part of the selvedge or stitches in them... I will make up a tute on this... they are really cute and kids can easily make them too :wink: 8) 8)

You can also lay those little tiny pieces of fabric, bits of pretty threads, plastic sequins, etc on a piece of fabric and lay a piece of tulle, not netting, on top of it and meander stitch over it or stitch in grids and cut it up into squares to use... I just watched them do this on Saturday on America Sews... She used white tulle on white fabric and dark blue or black on all of the rest... She also said as long as you use plastic sequins you won't break a needle or ruin your machine. I thought these would make cute insides to "Jar" blocks....
    Old 11-08-2009, 04:20 PM
    Power Poster

How cool amma...my obsessioin might just turn out to be quite handy afterall! Yes, please show the tutes on the bowls...(and let me know when you do...I get sidetracked and miss posts sometimes) :roll:
    Old 11-08-2009, 04:34 PM
    Power Poster

I am so guilty of all of the above :roll: :roll:
    And I do put the pedal to the medal, when Iknow ai am running out of bobbin , but , it just never helps. :lol: :lol:
    Old 11-08-2009, 04:45 PM
    Power Poster

On this baby quilt I am sewing....I was soooo pleased amma vs bobbin and I was ahead 4-0 less that 2 yds of thread left at each change :wink: :mrgreen: ....until.....the last bobbin....top tension issues :evil: and a whole bobbin full of thread down the tube...guess my machine showed me who is boss!!!! Atleast it was easy pulling out the stitches.... :roll:
    Next time I brag....I will have to take the computer or machine into the other room LMBO my machine is almost human I swear!!!! :shock:
    Old 11-08-2009, 04:52 PM
    Power Poster

Just "almost" amma?????? :lol: :lol:
    Old 11-08-2009, 04:54 PM
    Power Poster

Shhhh!!!! It is only 3 feet away and listening!!!! :shock:
    Old 11-08-2009, 05:54 PM

Gosh! Your machine has big ears too? I am away from home so I can talk... :wink:
    Old 11-08-2009, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by amma
    On this baby quilt I am sewing....I was soooo pleased amma vs bobbin and I was ahead 4-0 less that 2 yds of thread left at each change :wink: :mrgreen: ....until.....the last bobbin....top tension issues :evil: and a whole bobbin full of thread down the tube...guess my machine showed me who is boss!!!! Atleast it was easy pulling out the stitches.... :roll:
    Next time I brag....I will have to take the computer or machine into the other room LMBO my machine is almost human I swear!!!! :shock:
    It must be kin to mine then, Amma, thing just knows when I'm shaky or not up to par and the machine gives me h&[[ so that I turn it off and walk away. :shock: But on the good days she sings to me all day long! So glad to be able to sit at it sometimes now. Back is playing me up a bit, but i did work a little on one stocking before the machine kicked me off for the day. :? :roll: :oops:
    Old 11-08-2009, 09:56 PM
    Power Poster

Ok, I can talk now...I put my machine to bed for the night LOL

Glad to hear you were able to spend some time with your machine before she got tempermental :wink:
    Old 11-09-2009, 12:59 AM
    k3n
    Power Poster

LOL amma, it's like when the petrol in the car is running low and you speed up to get to the petrol station faster! :lol: Only that uses MORE petrol, at least bobbin thread is consistent. :shock: I'm ALWAYS over estimating how far it will go. You take out a half filled bobbin in and look at it. IS it enough? Yeah, it'll do! Of course it's ALWAYS about 3" too little. I think they call this 'the triumph of hope over experience', or maybe just 'you stupid idiot, Kathryn, when will you LEARN'! :lol: