Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilting for show - how perfect should the piecing be? >
  • Quilting for show - how perfect should the piecing be?

• Quilting for show - how perfect should the piecing be?

Old 01-23-2014, 05:50 AM

There is no such thing as perfection in quilting, but you do need to do the best you can. If I am unhappy with an intersection, I will redo up to 3 times. If it is still not perfect, so be it.
    Old 01-23-2014, 07:22 AM

I think they all look beautiful. I'd worry about stretching my fabric and making things worse by ripping out and doing over. I think the best decision you can make is how you feel in your 'gut'. If the way it looks is going to bother you every time you look at it, rip away. But if you feel you've done the best you can and you can look at this as a learning experience, leave it alone. After looking at your blocks, I'm leaving now to throw rocks at my work...
    Old 01-23-2014, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
    do the best you can do- but remember- ripping & re-sewing sometimes makes things worse.
    That's what I'm most afraid of... making things worse. What I'm not sure of is why I keep missing the corners on the square pieces. I've got it pinned at every intersection, and only pull the pins just before the presser foot tweaks them out of place, and I miss almost every time.

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
    What kind of a show is it and what is your goal? If it's a juried show and your goal is to win first prize, you may want to fix the worst ones. If it's a smallish local un judged show or a juried show and you are not looking for a prize, just the experience, I'd also just continue on. Personally, they look good to me.
    I have had lots of experience ripping, however. If you do decide to fix some of them, start by re ironing the seam so it's the same as when you sewed it (not pressed to the light or dark). Using the point of your seam ripper work on one side or the other, cutting every 3rd or 4th stitch. Turn the piece over and you should be able to remove the entire thread. Now separate the 2 pieces. Do not tug or pull on the patchwork. Unsewing this way will result in the least amount of distortion. I have never had any luck with just removing part of a seam (unless the error is when I'm joining rows).
    Because I was told it would be a show quilt, not that I'd decided consciously before I started that I would enter it into "x" show, I really don't have an idea of what sort of show or what the goal is. I guess at this point, my goal would have to be to make it of a quality that it would be show worthy, if that makes any sense? I'm not actually sure what's available as far as show around here at this point.

Thanks for the tip on reironing the seam! I know I didn't do that on the Labyrinth when I re-did seams and it was very frustrating to have the seams going whereever they wanted.

I will definitely rip the way you mention. I have "shortlisted" about 5 of the mitered pieces, and .. uh... all of the other blocks for remedial work.

Originally Posted by Stitch124
    I am not working on a quilt nearly as beautiful as yours, but the piecing is still a challenge, because of that lingering idea that it's going to be judged.
    <snip>
    My challenge is that my quilt is a QAYG which I've never done before. Still have 3 months before submission and it's a wall quilt so I'm taking my time and studying the directions and the technique and I won't work on it if I'm the least bit tired or stressed. I want it to be a fun experience. I will admit it is intimidating to know that someone else is judging my work, but what's the worst they can say... No. But I will love it, because I love the design and the fabric, so I say....do your best and enjoy the process.
    That's the hard part, isn't it? Guests who see a quilt on the bed / wall /etc won't scrutinize it and pick it apart. I haven't done any QAYG yet. A number of the other gals in our sewing circle started that way, but no, I had to jump into harder things right off the bat. The biggest problem I've found with studying the directions and technique is I seem to get frozen and not start. Good thing you have a deadline.

Originally Posted by Onebyone
    By asking, you already know there are mistakes you want to correct. It's not perfect but many award winning quilts aren't perfect at all. At most of the national juried shows I have been to, innovation wins over perfect workmanship.
    I completely agree. I guess where I was going with this post was: At what point am I being overly critical of my work and at what point is it necessary... I don't know where the line is at all.

Originally Posted by Annie68
    That is a beautiful quilt. I just wanted to add...don't forget to get copyright permission to enter the quilt in a show.
    Very good point! Thank you. Maybe I'll contact Northcott / Patti Carey now and just have it on file.

Originally Posted by Tartan
    From what I can see of your pieces, they is very little difference in the piecing. The pattern looks like it will be very forgiving as none of those slight variations have to match up against another pieced block. As for the floral mitered blocks, the ones in the link don't match the pattern either. The only ones that might concern me would be 2 on the far right where the little gold stripes don't match the others. I would just strategically place those maybe one in opposite corners so they were less noticeable. It is going to be beautiful so, STAY CALM and QUILT ON!
    It was impossible to match the flower portion in the mitered blocks, at my skill level anyway. I would also have needed probably double the amount of fabric to fussy cut that way. At first I tried, then I said forget it, when I saw what the QT quilt looked like and how much fabric it was going to require to do it the way I really would have liked. The lines not intersecting are my biggest concern on the miters.

You mention the part that's probably been the hardest on me... staying calm. It's been nerve wracking from the get go. Just beginning to cut the fabric had my heart pounding and thinking "what if I mess this up??"

Originally Posted by Jingle
    Only the mistakes that would be easily seen are the ones I would take out.
    When I bought my first quilt book and really everyone since, I was and am shocked to see some sloppy quilts. I thought they were professionally made and didn't think there were be any mistakes.
    I am still trying to make a perfect quilt and try as I might I can not do it.
    I notice that too, especially in the magazines. I was told that's because of the deadlines required to get them out. They're pieced very quickly and then the LAer gets "a day or so" with it. That would definitely explain some of the quality issues...

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
    How many would I rip out? None. Zero. Zip. Nada. I'd throw my back out doing happy dance that they came out so well. Of course, I don't do shows. It's not my thing, but I've been to many. I think it's hard to saw what will catch a judge's eye. I've seen winners that had flat out mismatched seams and I've seen winners that were spot on perfect. That's the thing with judging art. It is very subjective and you will never make all the judges happy. Make yourself happy.
    Thanks Lisa, You're right. At the end of the day, I have to love this quilt. I haven't made many yet, and I know I'm putting a lot of pressure on myself by doing this "so soon". Perhaps I'll put the blocks away for a couple more days and then look at them again and see if they still bother me.

Originally Posted by lfletcher
    There is no such thing as perfection in quilting, but you do need to do the best you can. If I am unhappy with an intersection, I will redo up to 3 times. If it is still not perfect, so be it.
    Good rule! I think I may just borrow that one.

Originally Posted by michelleoc
    I think they all look beautiful. I'd worry about stretching my fabric and making things worse by ripping out and doing over. I think the best decision you can make is how you feel in your 'gut'. If the way it looks is going to bother you every time you look at it, rip away. But if you feel you've done the best you can and you can look at this as a learning experience, leave it alone. After looking at your blocks, I'm leaving now to throw rocks at my work...
    Stretching the fabric was definitely why I was really concerned with both blocks. With the HST in the one, I find that that portion stretches much easier than the other part and possibly could be lending to the problem. In all other circumstances, I'd be ecstatic for the seams to be this close... it's just that extra pressure about the "show quilt" designation...

No! No rocks! I just got lucky in that most of these blocks are relatively forgiving. I nearly overheated my featherweight's pedal going as slow as I was too. (Of course a little warmth in this winter doesn't suck... )</snip>
    Old 01-23-2014, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
    What kind of a show is it and what is your goal? If it's a juried show and your goal is to win first prize, you may want to fix the worst ones. If it's a smallish local un judged show or a juried show and you are not looking for a prize, just the experience, I'd also just continue on. Personally, they look good to me.
    I have had lots of experience ripping, however. If you do decide to fix some of them, start by re ironing the seam so it's the same as when you sewed it (not pressed to the light or dark). Using the point of your seam ripper work on one side or the other, cutting every 3rd or 4th stitch. Turn the piece over and you should be able to remove the entire thread. Now separate the 2 pieces. Do not tug or pull on the patchwork. Unsewing this way will result in the least amount of distortion. I have never had any luck with just removing part of a seam (unless the error is when I'm joining rows).
    I was taught to unsew using this method. My advice is take the "worse seam" and unsew it. Then see if you can improve this seam. By tackling the worse ones first, you will see improvement. And then it's up to you whether it is worth it to you to continue with the other "not so bad seams" or not.

I love your fabrics and you are going to have a beautiful quilt.
    Old 01-24-2014, 07:17 AM

I totally agree with Lisa.
    Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
    How many would I rip out? None. Zero. Zip. Nada. I'd throw my back out doing happy dance that they came out so well. Of course, I don't do shows. It's not my thing, but I've been to many. I think it's hard to saw what will catch a judge's eye. I've seen winners that had flat out mismatched seams and I've seen winners that were spot on perfect. That's the thing with judging art. It is very subjective and you will never make all the judges happy. Make yourself happy.
    Old 01-24-2014, 07:17 AM

His comment was "Oh. Oh WOW. You don't know it yet, but this is going to be a show quilt...."

Isn't that your determination? Do you want to make a "show quilt" or just a beautiful quilt?
    Old 01-24-2014, 07:46 AM

These are my thoughts about changing anything. If YOU feel it's not perfect, could change it but don't, because others aren't perfect, and you get your quilt back from the show and the judges have downgraded you for what you knew was off and didn't change, how would you feel? If you just can't get it right and need to move on, that's another story. Your stripes match on the miters, but the patterns don't, so I suspect you didn't make a template when you were cutting. Big deal? Not to me and if you have your quilt on the bed, so what?. But if you get a judge who thinks that's important, than yeah, it makes a difference. Of all the quilts I've entered in shows, I know what's not perfect, so I'm not surprised when a judge says such and such could be better. But the decision is, do you want to bother to change it? And different shows with different judges have different standards. Something that will squeak by in one show may not in another. Or something a judge marked you down for in one show, may not matter in another. My advise would be do the best you can and enter it. See what happens. I've had quilts I've really sweated over and got nothing; I had another quilt I really just entered so I could see it in th show and it got a blue ribbon - go figure! Just enjoy the process. It looks like it will be a gorgeous quilt!!
    Old 01-24-2014, 08:01 AM
    Power Poster

I have seen quilts win first place and I could find missed points or seams on them. Then I have seen quilts that I rhought were magnificient that didn't even win an honorable mention. I agree, do your best and see what happens.
    Old 01-24-2014, 09:33 AM
    Power Poster

I think you did a great job with your piecing. If there is a block or blocks that really bug you, then I might consider "unsewing" and putting the block/blocks back together. I'm glad you were able to find the exact same fabrics for the quilt, and when finished should be a show stopper. Just be sure to acknowledge the designer of the quilt on your label and if someone else will be quilting it. I've had a few quilts judged in several quilts and I found that each judge might point out something different. Your fabric and colors are awesome and so is your piecing. Even if you should not win a ribbon, the comments from the judges will enable you to see if there was anything wrong with your piecing, quilting, etc., and I've found those comments to be very helpful in future quilts. Good luck with the show, I think you will win a ribbon.
    Old 01-24-2014, 10:20 AM

What you have done so far is so beautiful.