Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • quilting stencil >
  • quilting stencil

• quilting stencil

Old 11-23-2016, 06:41 AM

I use this type of stencil but the chalk does tend to sort of "bounce" off if I sew over it with my walking foot.

My FMQ foot is the type that "floats" rather than "hops", so I can use it for FMQ pretty well. I've learned to only mark a couple blocks at a time, though, or I tend to rub the chalk off as I move the quilt around.

I use the blue chalk, which is a brush-off type. They have a white chalk that vanishes under an iron, I've been thinking of trying that kind to see if it "sticks" better. Anybody try the white iron-off pounce - does it stick better than the blue?
    Old 11-23-2016, 07:06 AM

Paper Princess.......your are amazing........thanks for your work. I will run a bunch off the printer to sew on and if that doesn't work I will put small fine lines through the pattern with my exacto and use air erasable pen
    Old 11-23-2016, 07:10 AM

WOW Phyllis nm...........I am going to see about trying these methods and appreciate your time in pecking this out
    Old 11-23-2016, 09:46 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by SoftBlockLady
    Paper Princess...thanks for your work.
    You are welcome. I have found that many stencils that are meant to be continuous need a very small join to connect. This is probably an inch or less. As you work with more stencils, you will get the hang of it. Good luck! Unless you are doing a very small quilt, it's going to be a challenge to use a walking foot with this pattern.
    Old 11-23-2016, 01:37 PM

When you can't FMQ you don't have many choices. I don't have the money for longarming each quilt. My first choice is to trace a stencil with an air pen but I found I was able to sew over the paper patterns and have it come out ok. I have a lot of time and much patience. I'm not in a race and want to be able to say I did it myself. I'm very good at doing grid work but I guess I want a challenge.
    Old 11-23-2016, 01:54 PM
    Power Poster

Anxious to see when you're finished.
    Old 11-23-2016, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by SoftBlockLady
    Hi Everyone........I jumped out of my comfort zone which is straight line quilting and ordered a stencil from Connecting Threads. I have always been happy with their stuff but I'm disappointed this time. Could be my fault but I didn't know that this was a stencil for use ONLY with a pounce. It is hard to hit and have the chalk come out. What do you do when you come to a light spot on the quilt top. I can't find a way to align to the second use of the stencil. I thought that they all linked. I'm going to trace it on a light board and use the sew through the paper approach.....if I can find a way to get it to match up. The pattern is a soft swirl and looks to have a start and stop. I don't do free motion and use my walking foot and go slow...............thanks
    Try making your own 'pounce? Cut a 6-7" circle of fabric, sew a running stitch around the circle about an inch from the edge. Put a wad of stuffing (or extra batting scraps) and draw up the thread and tie it off. Now you can use cornstarch as the chalk, just do not to to store the top once you have the cornstarch on it because it may draw bugs. You could also run chalk down a garlic or cheese grater to make your powder that will not draw bugs. I am the "McGiver" of the sewing world. Lol!
    Old 11-23-2016, 03:33 PM

use a foam "paint" brush for the pounce powder (or use baby powder), secondly before you start spritz the quilt with water and the powder will stay better!
    Old 11-23-2016, 07:27 PM

hi tessagin............if I knew how to post at picture I would. I have tried a few times with no luck.
    Old 11-23-2016, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma
    I use this type of stencil but the chalk does tend to sort of "bounce" off if I sew over it with my walking foot.

I use the blue chalk, which is a brush-off type. They have a white chalk that vanishes under an iron, I've been thinking of trying that kind to see if it "sticks" better. Anybody try the white iron-off pounce - does it stick better than the blue?
    I have both the blue and the white that irons off. The white stays in place until it's ironed off. To keep the blue in place I saw a hint to set it with cheap hairspray and that worked really well.