Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilting with Suede??? >
  • Quilting with Suede???

• Quilting with Suede???

Old 02-22-2015, 05:51 PM

Default Quilting with Suede???

Hi, Folks,

I've recently been gifted with a beautiful swatch of lambskin hide. I've been wanting to experiment with leather in my sewing and quilting, so this seems like the perfect opportunity.

So, first question (of many, I apologize): Has anyone ever quilted with suede or leather?

My piece is a very soft and very thin swatch of lambskin suede (taupe colored). It's small--roughly 3' x 2', so my options are somewhat limited. The piece is also quite pliable--it folds as easily as most of my other fabric and, in terms of weight and pliability, it's pretty similar to corduroy. In fact, it's probably even thinner and has more drape than the corduroy I've quilted with in the past (it's been advertised as being thin enough to use as lining fabric).

I was thinking of the following possible projects: part of a patchwork design, part of a quilted bag, a quilted journal cover, a smallish throw pillow.

Does the idea of conceiving a quilt project with animal hide just seem like a bad idea? I know my sewing machine can manage the material, so no concerns on that front. But, would a traditional quilt sandwich work? I guess I could always sew a test patch, but the amount I have is already so small that I really don't want to waste any.

If I'm on a fool's errand, I can certainly nix the whole idea of incorporating suede into a quilting project, but thought I'd test the waters here first.

So, in addition to the general questions stated above, I also have a few specific ones:

1) Would you use 1/2" seam allowance when quilting (or sewing) with suede?
    2) I know I need to use leather needles, but is there a specific size I should use for a very thin suede?
    3) What kind of thread would one use with thin suede and what weight?
    4) What stitch length is best?

If it helps, I will be sewing on a Juki 2010q or a Juki F400.

Phew! I know that's a good number of questions. Y'all have always been so kind and generous with your advice that I really couldn't help myself!

Bestest,
    A
    Old 02-22-2015, 07:02 PM
    Power Poster

I don't know if you have a subscription to QNNTV, but they had a whole series on quilting with leather, episode 508. It was the Long Arm Quilting Show, but the needle info and tips should apply to a domestic machine. I think you can sign up for a single month for $3.
    Old 02-22-2015, 09:30 PM

My take on it is, it's yours do what you want to with it.

If it were mine I'd give it to my son who is a leather artist/craftsman and see what he came up with. Lol!
    Old 02-22-2015, 10:17 PM

I've made bags with both suede and leather, use special leather needles and a thin but strong thread, I usually glue my seams open after sewing, you will need a leather foot it has a roller which moves the leather/suede through smoothly. You can also overlap your pieces and sew a narrow seam seam, happy sewing x
    Old 02-22-2015, 10:41 PM

I have zero experience quilting with suede, so my opinion is worth exactly what you're paying for it.
    I don't think you need to have a 1/2" seam allowance. Suede isn't woven, so you don't have to worry about it unraveling or somehow coming undone. Therefore a 1/4" seam allowance should be sufficient.
    Old 02-23-2015, 12:58 AM
    Power Poster

I made a patchwork quilt with suede and corduroy once, just large ( 10") squares. It turned out great, one of my favorites for the simplicity of it and the texture, look, great double sided, flannel backing. It is a great cabin in the woods snugging quilt. Quilted beautifully! Did nice decorative ( fall leaves) quilting on the suede squares and cross hatch on the corduroy squares.
    I used a sharp needle in the size appropriate for the thread, 40 wt. Polyester thread for piecing and 30 wt cotton for quilting. Wool batting because I like the lightweight loftiness of it and it is so easy to stitch. I've also made purses, totes, and quilted jackets with suede fabrics.
    I use a normal seam width and a slightly longer stitch length.
    Old 02-23-2015, 04:24 AM

If your machine will sew it, you are free to use it in any way you wish. It'd be neat to mix it up with corduroy, linen, even velvets. you could even dye some of it to have a range of colors. nice to have a quilt with some weight to it this time of year...some of ours tho lovely, really aren't as warm as i'd like them to be. Keep in mind how it will be washed but once quilted, the suede should do fine.
    Old 02-23-2015, 04:36 AM
    Power Poster

I did some sewing with leather scraps so I am not sure the thickness of your fabric. Back then I sewed it on an industrial sewing machine. Just be careful to make sure if your DSM can handle it.
    Old 02-23-2015, 04:37 AM

Here in Manitoba, lots of mukluks, slippers, mittens are handmade from deer skin.. Lots of deer population, and cattle in this area.. What I know it requires special needle, and I wonder about the ironing of your seams part. The cleaning is via use of sandpaper.. Not in machine..

The skin punctures and leaves hole, that could tear... I'd talk to a leather shop that does leather crafts before taking on this task.. All the work you put into it want the quilt to last.
    Old 02-23-2015, 05:07 AM

Because of the thickness of the skin, I would use as big of pieces as possible, keeping the seams to a minimum. I would probably add a similar thickness of fabric and use simple squares with a random pattern. Since it is an animal skin, the thought of backing it with sherpa keeps coming to mind....very warm, minimal quilting necessary, no batting needed (could even be tied). Whatever you choose, plan well and sew carefully as the needle holes are forever. Please take good pics and show us!