Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • quilting withdrawal >
  • quilting withdrawal

• quilting withdrawal

Old 02-09-2011, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose
    I am currently sitting in a hotel room while the DH recuperates from transplant surgery. He is doing great, but darn it, I miss my sewing and quilting. It is getting real bad...I want to make a run to the nearest JoAnn's...lol. After being here for 3 weeks I am going crazy. We are almost 3 hrs. from home, so running home for a quick session at the sewing machine isn't an option. So I just come on this board and see all the wonderful quilts and get new ideas. You fellow quilters have been a lifesaver to me!
    Do run over to the Jo-Anns and get some fabric! If you go on a rainy weekday morning, and explain your problem,I will bet they will let you cut it there. Do you know how to sew the 3D bowtie block? That is a great block to carry around and hand sew together! and hand sewing the blocks into a quilt is a piece of cake if you sew fours together, and then those into bigger fours....and four of those to make the quilt top!
    I made one with 5" sq pieces (Nickle squares) three of a floral print, the other two a batik green fern that matches the green in the leaves in the print.
    OR sew some "nickle squares" into nine patches.
    If you want you can cut those into "dissapearing nine patches" by drawing lines on the blocks, and cutting those with scizzors- pics on the forum will help you - and sew those blocks into fours and fours and fours!
    Does this give you ideas? I hope!
    Old 02-09-2011, 06:53 AM

so glad your husband is doing well. Can you pick up some handwork, like some applique? I'm sure if you run to Joann's you will come back with something to keep your hands busy. lol
    Best wishes!
    Old 02-09-2011, 07:00 AM

You and your DH have been in my prayers since reading this, and I will keep praying for you both.
    God Bless
    Old 02-09-2011, 08:19 AM

When I moved back to the States from Germany i had four months without any household goods, including the sewing machine, so I went old school and made clothes for my daughter and quilts by hand from start to finish. didn't take as long as I thought they would and were a lot of fun. Good luck with your husband's recovery.
    Old 02-09-2011, 08:51 AM

Happy your DH is recovering. Maybe now is the time for pencil and graph paper. I recently spent 10 days in the hospital, and this was my fix. Also had them bring my crayolas to help with the planning proces.
    Old 02-09-2011, 09:14 PM

Thank you so much everyone! With all the thoughts and prayers headed his way, he will be well soon. I will be making a mad dash home this week to check on things and do some bill paying, so maybe will have time to find something to bring with me. I have always wanted to learn how to crochet, but have never had a teacher. Maybe it's time to find a teaching book! At least that will be easy to haul around with me.

Love to all of you!
    If you look on youtube, they have great tutorials for crochet, even if you are left handed.
    Old 02-10-2011, 10:43 AM
    Banned

so glad husb doing well, why don't you treat yourself and do some hand quilting, it is so relaxing.
    Old 02-13-2011, 09:34 AM
    Power Poster

Best wished for your husband. I would get some material, sissors, thread and needle and hand sew anything until I got home.
    Old 02-16-2011, 03:47 PM

I am currently sitting in a hotel room while the DH recuperates from transplant surgery. He is doing great, but darn it, I miss my sewing and quilting. It is getting real bad...I want to make a run to the nearest JoAnn's...lol. After being here for 3 weeks I am going crazy. We are almost 3 hrs. from home, so running home for a quick session at the sewing machine isn't an option. So I just come on this board and see all the wonderful quilts and get new ideas. You fellow quilters have been a lifesaver to me!

Run to Joann's and buy a couple of precut quilt block kits. That is what I like to do when I have to have portable.