Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilting Withdrawals >
  • Quilting Withdrawals

• Quilting Withdrawals

Old 12-18-2012, 09:01 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I thought my main machine was down because the computer on it said to take it in to get it fixed so I unplugged it and it sat for three weeks and I misplaced my Viking acrylic table (yes, I really can't find the big thing) and I can't sew on it without it, so I was without for over 3 weeks. Now, after I took my machine in and the dealer plugged it in and it worked right off the bat and the dealer and my husband both looked at me like I was crazy, which I'm not, I haven't sewn a bit on it. With Christmas and snow tires, I haven't time to sew. I've done some cutting only, but really want to sew this new quilt. But every day something comes up so I can't go in my sewing room. I guess I could do it right now instead of the board, but I'm drinking coffee and waking up. So this doesn't count.
    Old 12-19-2012, 03:54 AM

I put my sewing machine away last week to make room for the Christmas tree. I am having withdrawals already. The only thing that is saving my sanity is having to chase the dog around the house after he grabs a present from under the tree to eat it up. Let's see, one pair of Mukluks, one box of animal toys for a little girl, an Audi R8 car for the little boy across the alley, Red Wing Pottery beer mug (didn't hurt it) and with her wagging tail a myriad of Christmas ornaments I have had to crawl under the tree, find and hang back up. I MISS MY SEWING MACHINE!!!!!!!! So now instead of baking up a batch of cookies, I have to rewrap a bunch of Christmas presents!!!!! And a Happy New Year. Edie
    Old 12-19-2012, 04:58 AM

How exciting! It's like starting all over again.
    Old 12-19-2012, 06:40 AM

Oh, boy, I fully understand! We also spent the last 3 months buying a house and moving. You have my full sympathy. I finally got to sew the binding on a quilt last night. Now I can hardly wait to start the next project (or finish another UFO).
    Old 12-19-2012, 06:53 AM

I totally understand. We quilting addicts have a hard time on withdrawal. Have fun. Merry Christmas.
    Old 12-19-2012, 07:27 AM

LOL! When we moved, the first room moved and set up was my sewing room. We were between 2 houses for about a month, but it was nice being able to do a room at a time. I sure don't want to do it again, though. I told DH that the only way I would leave this house is with the undertaker!
    Old 12-19-2012, 08:29 AM

oh, i could not do it. i would have a big bag set aside of hand applique to do in the interim! lol! bless your heart. I hope you can sew sooooooooon!
    Old 12-19-2012, 08:46 AM

This happens to me so often it's not even funny. I'm a college student, so money is always tight. So when I want to quilt I usually don't have enough money to make a project. It's really bad right now. I want to quilt so bad, but I don't have any money.
    Old 12-19-2012, 09:05 AM

Enjoy your new home, it is always so much fun. I sure know how you feel as my DH is retired army we spent a lot of time moving and have built five new homes. I never felt at home until my sewing ares was set up. I told him when we built this last house that he had better like it a lot because I was through moving. We have been here 24 years and I have held my ground even tho he keeps asking me if I wouldn't like a new house.
    Old 12-19-2012, 09:47 AM
    Power Poster

I feel your pain, I really do. We had to move from a 3-bedroom house to a 2-bedroom apt. 2 years ago, and although DH was upset with what I kept, I still gave away over half my "stash" and it broke my heart. I did suffer from withdrawal until I got my machine set up. Then in Feb. I fell, ruptured a disk in my neck,had surgery, then 4 months of rehab learning how to use my hands and use my legs to walk again. I was in severe withdrawal for over 6 months, but thankfully I was able to start quilting again, and I've barely slowed down since, and believe me I'm a much happier camper now. Just ask DH.