Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • quilts from a lost loved one. >
  • quilts from a lost loved one.

• quilts from a lost loved one.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:41 PM

Thankyou so very much.
    Originally Posted by kriscraft99
    You made the quilts for her to make her happy - I'm sure she would want you to have them to cherish the memories :) For now store them in a safe place. One day they will be priceless to you. I'm so sorry for your loss.
    Old 12-29-2010, 08:45 PM

I think if it were me, I would keep them safely stored away for a while. Take them out every year or so and look at them and see how you feel. Years from now you may be very glad to have them and able to look at them with smiles instead of tears. Time won't take away all the pain of losing your mom (I lost my dad in 1996- and it still hurts) but it will get better!! Sending prayers and good thoughts your way!
    Old 12-29-2010, 08:46 PM

I am so sorry for your loss. I agree with everyone else - put them away for now. When the time is right you will know what to do. Blessings to you.
    Old 12-29-2010, 08:47 PM

After my MIL passed, I was eventually given all the counted cross stitch and other personal gifts I had made for her, as well as many of the items she had made. Some I felt like my FIL could/should have kept as he returned the ones I had made for him as well. Initially I was sort of offended and felt like it was mostly because he was getting ready to remarry and 'she' was behind it all. Now 14 years later we have recently been going thru all their stuff as they are now in assisted living, and I realize that it comes down to a choice of giving it to Goodwill, having an estate sale or keeping it in the family. I do like the idea of keeping what various family members want/can use in the family. But, yes, it can be too soon, and I would advise you to put them away until you are farther along in the grieving process. I know I did not want to move into my mom's house, even though it had more bedrooms, for about a year after she passed on and even then I took awhile making it mine instead of hers.
    Old 12-29-2010, 08:48 PM

I think you have good advice here. Store them and later when some time has passed, take another look. Memories are sweeter when some time a gone by.
    Old 12-29-2010, 08:48 PM

I am so sorry for your loss.

I agree with others - let some time pass before making any decisions.

Hugs!
    Old 12-29-2010, 08:49 PM

Marmie, Take them. If you think it is too soon, put them away in a safe place until you are ready. I made a very special quilt for my mother. Little did I know, a few weeks later she'd be gone. My sister gave the quilt back to me. At first I cried, now that's the quilt everyone reaches for when they are sick, sad or hurt. That's the one quilt everyone reaches for for extra comfort. I am so sorry for your loss. If you ever need to talk, please feel free to PM me. It helps.
    Old 12-29-2010, 08:52 PM
    Power Poster

I am so sorry for your loss. My Mom has been gone almost 10 years and I think of her each and every day. I would also save the special quilts. Be careful though putting them in a cedar chest. Cedar is really bad for quilts.
    Old 12-29-2010, 08:52 PM

So sorry for your lost. I've always heard not to make any decisions for at least a year after you lose a love one. I think that's a good idea. Some even need even more time. I agree with others, store them in a safe place, and decide what you want to do several months down the road. you may even find that you don't want to part with them at all, and your sister may even want them also.
    Old 12-29-2010, 09:04 PM
    Power Poster

Oh Marmie, I am so sorry for your loss. My suggestion is not to give them away right now. It's too soon and you may regret it.
    HUGS, sweetie :)