Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • quilts from a lost loved one. >
  • quilts from a lost loved one.

• quilts from a lost loved one.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:07 PM

I'd like to suggest you purchase one of the large vaccuum bags and seal them up and put them away, for when peace has come to your soul....and then decide. May you find peace in the shadow of angels wings and your memories.
    Old 12-29-2010, 09:10 PM

I also feel that you should keep them and store them safely until you are ready to decide and maybe some of the grands will want them to remember Grandma.
    Sorry for your loss,thoughts and prayers.
    Old 12-29-2010, 09:19 PM

I made a quilt for my mother in law who recently passed away from Alzheimer's. The quilt was always on her bed and if she was ever taken to the hospital the quilt went with her. When she passed I asked my husband what the family was planning on doing with the quilt. He told me it was up to me since I made it. I chose to kept it. I know that nothing will ever replace her but just having the quilt makes me feel close to her.
    Old 12-29-2010, 09:35 PM

When my mom passed, she left me her most prized possession, her electronic organ. I don't play, and like you and the quilts, I didn't know what to do with it, so it sat in my living room for a few years. When my heart mended enough that I felt I was no longer emotionally attached to it, I found a family that financially could not afford an organ but the mother played and longed for one. Her husband picked it up and surprised her with it, she was overwhelmed.

Store your quilts away and some day, when family members, children or nieces and nephews are older and interested in family treasures, you will find new and loving homes for them.
    Old 12-29-2010, 09:45 PM

~HUGS~ Marmie...I lost my mother in 2006. We found out that she was dying on Mother's Day, and she passed a week later.
    I had made several things for her, and I have those things back. One, a friendship quilt with photos, I gave to my oldest son....it had pics of my ex on it, and I didn't think William would be comfortable having it displayed here. The other things were put away for awhile, but I have them displayed now, and enjoy the memories that are associated with them.

I am so sorry that you're feeling the pain that you are feeling! It does get better...know that you will see her again when the time comes, and in a much better place...~more hugs~
    Old 12-29-2010, 11:44 PM

Marmie, I am sorry for your loss. My heart does go out to you. When my brother died, I made a quilt using his shirts and pillow case. I put pictures and his military patches on it. I gave it to my Mama. She loved the quilt, but it was too hard for her, so she respectfully and in a loving way gave it back. I understood because I was also grieving. I stored the quilt for 2 years. When we bought our first home, The first thing I did, after hanging the cross, was hang the quilt. I felt his presence, his love and just seeing his life before my eyes made me smile. Now, I see it everyday and it makes me glad. When my Mama comes to visit, she is so happy to see the quilt and does not cry anymore. She says for some reason it makes her smile - again. You are getting good advice. My friend lost her mother and gave everything away. I made sure I kept some things for her. When things calmed down she was so upset she did not keep anything, especially for her kids. I was more than happy to give her the box of her mother's belongings. She gave me a smile....((Hugs)).
    Old 12-30-2010, 12:20 AM

[quote=Marmie]thankyou. I guess it's too soon. My daughter has a cedar chest. Maybe she would keep them for me for a while.

Please don't put them in the cedar chest unless they are wrapped in a sheet or some other protective covering. There are acids in wood that over time will stain the fabric. Take them out and refold a couple of times a year. Time is healing and you'll be able to make better decisions later.
    Old 12-30-2010, 12:29 AM

I agree with the others...take your time. Several years ago I made a quilt for my brother who lived in Kentucky for about 16 years. Unexpectedly he passed away in May this year. His girl friend sent back the quilt to me and I will keep it forever as a memory. I will never forget my brother's face when I gave the quilt to him....
    Old 12-30-2010, 01:27 AM

I cross-stitched my mama an afghan a few years before she died. I put all 5 kids, spouses, grandkids, great grands, etc. on it in a calendar format. each under their month beside the date. I now have it and would not take anything for it. she loved her family. At first I was hesitant about getting it back too.
    Old 12-30-2010, 01:37 AM
    Banned

When Grandpa died, I went straight from the hospital to the house to get the quilt I'd made him. It has been a much-loved possession ever since. But also, I've never thought of death as something bad.