Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilts magazines disappearing off shelves? >
  • Quilts magazines disappearing off shelves?

• Quilts magazines disappearing off shelves?

Old 01-27-2018, 04:43 AM

Primitive Quilts seems to have less ads than others. It's well done and the pictures are beautiful. Includes a lot of wool applique plus quilts.
    Old 01-27-2018, 05:14 AM

I subscribe to several but am beginning to rethink - nothing original. Same things over and over. Used to love McCalls but no longer. Seems they are all owned by the same few companies. Do better on the internet.
    Old 01-27-2018, 05:42 AM
    Power Poster

i was at Walmart a couple of days ago and checked out the display... there were only 3 quilt mags and several yarn-related ones.
    Old 01-27-2018, 06:13 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by illinois
    Do you suppose quilting will somewhat go the way of macrame, counted cross-stitch and candlewicking? Not that it will disappear but most of the arts/crafts seem to go through a popularity and then fade away. Quilts have a utility function where these others do not but still...... With quilting's popularity some of us jumped right in and now have "adequate" stashes and have collected books/magazines that there is little to attract collecting more. So many patterns are available online or can be reconstructed with graph paper or technology. Our society is not required to get out of the house to do much any more as it is available online and can see it there or have it shipped to our door. If the magazines aren't in the stores, they probably weren't selling many.
    Very interesting observation. It does seem that the quilting population has reached a plateau since the resurgence of quiltmaking around the Bicentennial. I sure hope it wasn't just a long "fad".
    I personally don't know anyone in the younger age group who quilts but that doesn't mean they aren't around. I just don't know anyone a lot younger who quilts. Quilting seems to be big business but I wonder how long it will last. No answers here!
    Old 01-27-2018, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by illinois
    Do you suppose quilting will somewhat go the way of macrame, counted cross-stitch and candlewicking?
    I don't think quilting will go "out" any more than painting will. There are too many ways to make new quilts and many of them now are museum quality. We enjoy being creative, and our friends are finding out how much fun it is to put a quilt together, even if it's a "utility" quilt.
    Old 01-27-2018, 07:02 AM

A few years back a small group of investors bought all the quilt magazines they could. The editors and creative staff were let go and they 'modernized' the formats. Ads are way more important than content and the people publishing the magazines know nothing at all about quilting.
    Old 01-27-2018, 09:00 AM

I have let all subscriptions run out. I used to 6 in the mail. I only magazine I really enjoyed was Quilters Newsletter. They discontinued it. Too many ugly quilts made with ugly fabric in mho. I very rarely buy any now.
    Old 01-27-2018, 09:23 AM

Some of my favorite quilting magazines stopped publishing a while ago. Some of the "survivors" do seem to be quite repetitive, as became quite evident as I did a purge this month (pulling out patterns/articles I want and putting them in sheet protectors in binders). The one of most interest to me right now is "Machine Quilting Unlimited."
    Old 01-27-2018, 09:57 AM

Yes, many have moved and joined “the quilting Co”. I get emails all the time..
    Old 01-27-2018, 11:17 AM

I also think that the cost of making a quilt is so expensive that it discourages people from quilting and they turn to less expensive activities. Just like all the quilt stores around here have closed, so I can cetainly understand why the magazines are disappearing.