Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilts magazines disappearing off shelves? >
  • Quilts magazines disappearing off shelves?

• Quilts magazines disappearing off shelves?

Old 01-28-2018, 09:07 AM

Have any of you got a Quilt Folk magazine? The subscription is pricey at $75/year, but I've been thinking about subscribing. They claim to have all quilt related articles and each issue focuses on one state and their quilts. Mary Fons just became one of their editors or something. They claim they are for sale individually at Barnes & Noble, but I've yet to find one. Would love to hear from anyone who has looked through one.
    Old 01-29-2018, 08:05 AM

I wonder if it may be the time of year? I checked in my grocery store yesterday and there were 5 different ones. Could be the store manager is a quilter I suppose.
    Old 02-02-2018, 06:44 PM

I too used to subscribe to a number of magazines but now I prefer to look at them and only buy them if I see something interesting/unique. I get real tired of seeing old patterns re-named without giving credit to the fact that they are using the Carpenter's star, Ohio star or some other classic pattern that they arranged differently or played with color placement. I have also noticed that there are fewer patterns in the magazines -- guess they need the pages for ads.
    Old 02-02-2018, 09:01 PM

QuiltnLady1 you are right on about copying books and patterns then calling it their own. I took a class on a book called Square Dance when it first came out it had 2 sizes of paper templates that we traced on plastic then another person came out wit the same thing and called it Twister and included plastic templates and doubled the price of the book , never gave the original writer of Square Dance credit for anything. Another one ONE Block wonder a copy of another that I Can't think of the name right now and there are many others so copy right must not work for everyone
    Old 02-03-2018, 06:21 AM

Quilt Sampler is the only magazine I purchase. I get to visit quilt shops that I'll never get to in person. But for patterns, I find more than I can possibly use on line. I will buy old quilt magazines in a thrift store just for fun.