Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • quilts as tablecloths >
  • quilts as tablecloths

• quilts as tablecloths

Old 02-02-2014, 08:25 AM

I use quilts that I have made as table cloths on my eating table all the time. If I am going to serve something that stains like spaghetti then I use a place mat over top the quilt otherwise we just use the quilts like a table cloth and wash them they they get dirty. I haven't had any problem with them coming clean. I use warm n natural batting and quilt them like the quilts I snuggle up in, the table cloth ones are just different shape and smaller. I don't have small children who would be more messy.
    Old 02-02-2014, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Gail B
    I always have a quilted tablecloth on my table now. I no longer cover them with plastic. I made them to be used & they wash beautifully.
    Ditto - some have got some stains on them, but they were made to be a table cloth, used and loved.
    Old 02-02-2014, 10:24 AM

I'm just wondering if anyone has taken a patterned tablecloth from the 40s-50s and made it into a quilted tablecloth. It could have fabric added to it to make it the size needed. For instance, I have some that are square and I would want to make them round for my 54" table. Have you seen any done this way?

Here is a website where they are used for quilts:
    http://www.genxquilters.com/2011/06/...beautiful.html

Last edited by janeknapp; 02-02-2014 at 10:28 AM.
    Old 02-02-2014, 10:30 AM

I have been thinking about this as well. I put some snowflake fabric under the glass on my coffee table, and loved how the fabric changed the 'feel' of the room. I've been toying with the idea of making a quilt to cover our beat-up table. Now i just need to get out of my quilting slump!
    Old 02-02-2014, 10:31 AM

I have glass tops on several end tables in my den and a 42" round table on a screened porch. Have not had any issues with the glass sliding off. The glass I used was 1/4" and it is very heavy. Especially on the round table. No problems. None at all.
    Old 02-02-2014, 10:37 AM
    Power Poster

I have one of those round table that the legs screw on. I bought the round glass to keep the doily I had on top of the skirt clean and I never really have noticed any movement.
    Old 02-02-2014, 11:22 AM

I had to laugh when you wanted to use a quilt as a table cloth. A friend of mine spent a lot of time and money and then decided that she didn't like the quilt. So her comment was--" I have a very expensive and well-made table cloth because that is the only thing that I can see using it for. Guess it depends on your outlook.
    Old 02-02-2014, 01:02 PM

I've had glass cut for the tops of bedside tables and a dresser and there's no way it's slipping anywhere! Tabletop glass is pretty heavy, and you have to intentionally move it, and then you would notice if someone was doing that. It won't bump off, slide or misalign unless you purposely do it. I think the only drawback would be actually having to move th glass off when you want to change the tablecloth/quilt!
    Old 02-02-2014, 01:10 PM

I had a heavy wood table in my kitchen at one time and three growing children and I had glass cut and had placemats under the glass and it never moved...but I did drop a can of tomatoes on the table and bingo that was the first one then I had another glass cut and we sat down to eat and it cracked right across with no warning. They both lasted about 15 years total. Then I went and priced the glass for another and the price of the glass doubled...so I went to the heavy plastic.....You can get Plexiglas that is lighter cheaper but it scratches plus it slides....I would just get the heavy weight plastic at Walmart..
    Old 02-02-2014, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Gail B
    I always have a quilted tablecloth on my table now. I no longer cover them with plastic. I made them to be used & they wash beautifully.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one.....I love covering my table with quilts AND they are washable.