Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • quilts for teenage boys >
  • quilts for teenage boys

• quilts for teenage boys

Old 11-11-2015, 09:49 AM

There's always the Turning Twenty pattern.
    Old 11-11-2015, 09:53 AM

You really would be amazed about how special a quilt is to a teenaged boy. All of my DGS's love their quilts and were never particular about color. One even asked for purple, black and white. So just about anything you use will be fine. I think the rail fence is a great idea as it is pretty quick to put together. And BTW, thank you for caring enough to help make sure each of these boys gets their own quilt for Christmas.
    Old 11-11-2015, 10:07 AM
    Power Poster

When my son was about 11-12 I made him a twin size quilt for his bed. I did a triple Irish chain, fairly easy to make, in bright blue and black, very graphic. When I asked him what he would like for the backing he said "tiger print". Oh my, I said to myself; but my sister and I had gone to a discount store where I found the 6 yards in a tiger paw print, for $1/yd, perfect. Granted, my son is sentimental, "tough on the outside, but a marshmallow on the inside" (his school Guidance Counselor's words when he was going through a rough patch). Well, every time my son left, he took the quilt with him, and every time he moved back home he brought it with him, even though the poly batting I had used was mostly gone, wherever he went, the quilt went. Simple graphic prints like an Irish Chain, even just the single Irish chain in bright colors would be good for boys, and you could put sports fabric for the backing. I'm sure you won't regret making those quilts. I've made many charity quilts through my quilt guild and it always brought me great pleasure, especially when I saw pictures of the kids with my quilts. It's a great and good thing you're doing.
    Old 11-11-2015, 10:10 AM

the basics are quick, easy and boys like them - stripes, large squares, big chevron pattern. I would stay with warm tones or darker blues and greens. These would stay with a child of 13 thru a young man of 17.
    Old 11-11-2015, 06:41 PM

Bright colors. Red, yellow, maybe some orange, and purple, too. Most guys also love blue!

Great thing you're doing. I think these boys will be touched by the gift of quilts. If they are in a Boys Ranch situation, they probably don't own much and a quilt is somehow very personal. Good for you and all who are doing this! (I have boys so always think of their hearts!)

Edited to add: All these comments about how much boys love and treasure quilts has made me want to weep....because, with three sons and four grandsons, I know how true it is. Boys' needs are as great as that of girls and their emotional capacity is as big, too.

Last edited by Friday1961; 11-11-2015 at 06:52 PM.
    Old 11-11-2015, 06:49 PM

I did a disappearing 9 patch in varioues browns for my boy grdsns. sashings were white, corner stones were black. and i arranged them neatly in rows. all aimed the same way.
    Old 11-12-2015, 06:26 AM

Don't forget that this aged boy loves FOOD! Pizzas, bacon and eggs, hamburgers, picnic food, etc. have all found their way into quilts I have made. I have targeted this group for my Project Linus quilts and loads of my stash has prints suitable for boys in this aged group. I have two sons and am also from a rural area so farm and hunting related topics are all desired.

As to boys not wanting quilts, I have a very different outlook. They not only LOVE them they also enjoy the process. One of the biggest surprises of my life was when I set up an antique quilt frame with a quilt on it in my high school library. I laid out threaded needles, thread and scissors so that anyone who wanted could sit down and try out tying like old quilters often did. Who showed up EVERY DAY until that quilt was finished? The Voc Ed GUYS (bricklaying, electronics, auto mechanic, etc.) spent their lunch periods like young men possessed until that quilt was finished. I was blown away! Since then, I have done very few quilts with a feminine related theme. This group is so often overlooked and looking for appropriate fabrics may be challenging compared to girls but it get to be a whole lot of fun and easier. Think Duck Dynasty!
    Old 11-12-2015, 07:37 AM

I made a jean rag quilt with flannel back, camo material, for grandson.
    Old 11-12-2015, 07:40 AM

Don't forget the thrift shops, etc. as a source of wonderful cotton plaid shirts for use as fabric for guys' quilts. Yes, they love their quilts....gave several denim/plaid quilts for graduation gifts. They ended up calling them their "truck" quilts as some of them kept them in their trucks instead of on the bed. : )
    Old 11-12-2015, 07:52 AM

I recently made a split rail from a pair of jeans and several flannel shirts- used flannel for the back and did put batting in it. The guys that have seen this love it- very manly........the longarmer used fishing for the pattern to quilt it.