Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • quilts for teenage boys >
  • quilts for teenage boys

• quilts for teenage boys

Old 11-10-2015, 08:42 AM

Default quilts for teenage boys

Okay, a bit of history here. One of our guild members is gathering quilts for boys 13-18 at either a Boys' Ranch or an orphanage just for that age boy. She needs 30 quilts to have enough for each boy. She asked for these early in the summer, and it looks like she will end up with about 26 quilts, if what I heard yesterday is correct.

I had decided not to make a quilt for these, as I actually don't like making bed sized quilts, and, in my heart, I figure a teenage boy doesn't care one bit about a quilt. However, I sure want each boy to have a quilt. (I think it is for Christmas....see, I really didn't listen too well, as I decided I wasn't going to make one, that's why I am not sure if it is an orphanage or a boys' ranch.) I understand the boys will own the quilts, that they will go with them when they leave.

She is collecting the quilts Dec. 1, at our next guild meeting.

I have decided to make one or two. I am looking for info on what you think a teenage boy might like. Nothing in my stash aims towards a boy (I lean towards purple, turquoise, or daisies), so I will be buying fabric. I will look for focus fabric, maybe sports or motorcycles? I really like checkerboard quilts, so I probably will make one of those...and then I was thinking of a rail fence, as that is also quick.

So...if you were making a quilt for a boy this age with not a great deal of time to make it in, what would you go for? Or what colors would you put in a rail fence for a boy, as a focus fabric wouldn't really matter there.

I will be buying fabric tomorrow, but I sure will be listening for advice until then. Thanks.

Dina
    Old 11-10-2015, 08:47 AM

Purple and turquoise would go for a checkerboard. I sent 15 quilts last Christmas for teenagers in the local hospital. I don't do flowers so all the patterns were plain fabric. The boys enjoyed the bright colours.
    Old 11-10-2015, 08:58 AM
    Power Poster

Since most teenagers live on their devices, I would do the Hastag quilt. I think there is a MSQC tutorial on one but it might have a different name? Anyway it's the block that looks like #.
    Old 11-10-2015, 09:04 AM

I think stripes and plaids are really good for teenage boys' quilts. Maybe a large scale Chevron?

Have fun!!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-10-2015 at 09:38 AM. Reason: remove copyright pic, should have used link
    Old 11-10-2015, 09:09 AM

PS -

There's a much easier and quicker way to make the Chevron quilts. I found a great tutorial by Crazy Mom Quilts.

http://crazymomquilts.blogspot.com/2013/10/how-to-make-zig-zag-quilt-without_30.html

Really quick & easy. She has several other tutes that might be good for your project - - -

Old 11-10-2015, 09:12 AM
    Power Poster

ALL of the young men in my family LOVE their quilts! Modern, colorful, bright or woodsy. There are lots of outdoorsy fabrics out there and simple patterns are great.
    Old 11-10-2015, 09:14 AM

Plaids, chevrons, chambray, denim looking fabric, corduroy, anything like that. I saw a beautiful quilt that had plaid squares on point, alternating with a gray, textured fabric of squares. There was also a darker green one instead of the gray. Remember, boys that age will outgrow a theme quilt quickly.

Last edited by yngldy; 11-10-2015 at 09:17 AM.
    Old 11-10-2015, 09:31 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by yngldy
    Plaids, chevrons, chambray, denim looking fabric, corduroy, anything like that. I saw a beautiful quilt that had plaid squares on point, alternating with a gray, textured fabric of squares. There was also a darker green one instead of the gray. Remember, boys that age will outgrow a theme quilt quickly.
    I agree with yngldy, except the guys I know have never outgrown their love of sports, cars or anything that has a motor and/or makes lots of mess & noise!
    Old 11-10-2015, 09:59 AM

A lot of boys that age are into sports - for a quick easy quilt I would find a sports team. Being that you are in Texas, the Dallas Cowboys would be a safe bet and the San Antonio Spurs, but you could choose any Texas team, depending on where you are located. The fabric is 60 inches wide. My friend that is a 49'er fan I used their fabric on one side and a bright red flannel on the other and quilted it with wavy lines in and out of the pattern on the fabric, I had made it ia bit bigger with a 2inch border and then a binding all in 49ers colors. My daughter has a close friend that is an Oakland Raider fan so I did the same thing. Both love and use the quilts a lot.
    Old 11-10-2015, 10:46 AM

Thanks for the good ideas! I really appreciate it.

Dina