Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilts from wool -- REALLY?? >
  • Quilts from wool -- REALLY??

• Quilts from wool -- REALLY??

Old 03-05-2012, 10:12 PM

We had wool quilts on our beds when I was growing up. The water would freeze, the pipes would burst, but we were always warm as toast until we had to get out of bed. No one left the heat on at night. It wasn't needed because we were warm in bed under the wool quilts.When we got up we put on wool clothes. Our home was heated with 2 floor furnaces and only the areas close to the furnaces stayed warm. If the economy gets worse lots of us may have to go back to no heat at night, wool quilts, wool clothes, keeping our houses about 55 degrees to cut back on expenses. Life used to be a lot cheaper in the 30's and 40's. Also no AC in the summer. Sounds terrible to me now.

Last edited by TanyaL; 03-05-2012 at 10:21 PM.
    Old 03-06-2012, 05:19 AM

I would love to make a quilt out of wool. I think it's so great for warmth and durability. Have fun and just do some nine patch or something easy.
    Old 03-06-2012, 05:24 AM

I went to a quilt show sunday and I would say 40 percent of the entrys were wool. The primative wool quilts have been huge at the last few shows I have went to. The penny rugs and primative wall hangings are also very popular.
    Old 03-06-2012, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by quilt1950
    Can you really make quilts from wool fabric? This might help ease my guilty conscience! Years ago (like 25-30 years) I bought really nice wool to make suits for myself. Well, the suits never got made, I don't need them anymore, and the fabric sits in my cedar chest.

I did a search on this site on "wool", and it looks like I should wash and dry the wool, and then just quilt away. Is that correct? Use whatever batting and whatever backing?

I didn't find any pictures of wool quilts in my search. Can someone post one? I have at least 5 fabrics, which don't really coordinate (one brown, one green, one blue, etc), and I can't see a finished quilt in my mind's eye.

What are the attributes of a quilt made with wool. I'm thinking it would be a lap-size, used for warmth while watching TV, vs. a quilt used on a bed.

Thanks!
    Five different quilts leads to a "turning twenty" or 10 minute block or a D9P, or just as plain 9 patch.
    Perhaps purchase one more close to solid colored piece and make a snowball block, the the corner patches pulling the pieces together.

If you hand wash, be very careful not to cause the fabric to felt.

Or quilt away then take finished quilt to a dry cleaners

Find a pattern that makes you happy. The wool doesn't care how you put it together.
    Old 03-06-2012, 08:17 AM

At one time I had a wool quilt my grandparents had used on their bed. It was wool, over wool, over wool. I have no idea how old it was but where it was worn one could see inside and there were 2 quilts inside. When it began to be worn out they just added another top. It was tied with wool yarn. AND VERY heavy Sorry I don't have a picture.