Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quitling Magazines >
  • Quitling Magazines

• Quitling Magazines

Old 06-23-2013, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Quilt-Till-U-Wilt
    I tear out what I like. I buy the see through notebook inserts, slip them in the plastic insert, and put them in large spiral ring notebooks. You could have a notebook for runners, one for quilts, wall hangings etc. I've found the large business notebooks at sales for 50 cents each.
    This has been my method for the past 15-20 yrs. I've been able to donate tons of magazines & make more room for other things! As for 2011wannaquilt's comment, I've been surprised at how many of the saved projects are still something I want to do. If I KNOW that I'll never make something I've saved, I pitch it & use the top loading page for another "discovery".
    Old 06-23-2013, 09:01 AM

I have all of my magazines stored by magazine and date. I'm getting quite a collection, and have decided to stop renewing subscriptions, and only get a couple now, and those will soon end. Any time I need a quilting magazine "fix", I go on something like eBay and buy a collection for cheap. Have gotten magazines that have gone out of business years ago -- lots of fun there!

When I see a project I'd like to do, I take a photo of it with my phone, and then transfer it into I-Photo on my computer. There's a place for both name and description under each photo. I use that to save the name of the pattern and magazine, and the date. Since I have everything stored in order of issue, it's not hard to go back and find the pattern.

My I-Photo pictures have their own folder, and they are organized according to type: bed quilt, lap quilt, wall quilt, baby quilt, table runners, decor and "other". To check out the projects, I just need to scan my I-Photo and look at all the photos!

My husband says that this is "obsessive-compulsive" behavior. I just think I'm well organized. LOL!
    Old 06-23-2013, 09:30 AM
    Power Poster

I try to flag any patterns I'd like to make with a narrow post-it so when I'm looking for ideas, I flip to those pages first. Then periodically I go through the magazines again and if I've changed my mind, I pass them on to a girlfriend who then tears out the patterns she wants and puts them into a see-through notebook inserts, and then into notebooks. I do have a couple of small (6" deep or so) see through totes where I put magazines with 3-part mystery quilts, Christmas patterns I want to make, baby quilts, etc. Then when I go searching for a 3-part pattern, all the magazines are together. I do need to whittle down the magazines I have and perhaps scanning them into the computer might be a more efficient way to save patterns.
    Old 06-23-2013, 10:16 AM

Hi,

----- Ipad App ----- Free ----- The Name is "CamScanner Pro HD" ----- Easy To Use ----- Free -----

Requires iPad with camera.

Steve
    Old 06-23-2013, 12:07 PM

I had books and magazines that I hadn't looked at in years. I flipped through them and realized 2 things, I got most of my quilt patterns off the computer now days and most of the things I had no interest in anymore because I didn't want to do pieced/traditional patterns anymore. Some ladies on Free cycle got a bunch of magazines and books and were in 7th heaven. They were happy , I was happy with more space .. The only magazine I get now is Quilting Arts, the rest to me just got repetitive.
    Old 06-23-2013, 12:08 PM

I ran into the same problem: stacks of great magazines but no idea what patterns/ideas were in them. I needed organization but didn't want to start something terribly time-consuming. So I leafed through each magazine and tore out the patterns I liked. I made sure I had all the pages and designs from the center pages, stapled them together and put them in a plastic box. I didn't take the time to separate them out to bed quilts, table runners, etc. especially since it's so easy to turn a table runner into a quilt and vice versa. I love having me pattern box to go through when I'm itchy to start a new project.
    Old 06-23-2013, 02:47 PM

I tear them out & put them in clear plastic pages & have them in binders.
    Old 06-23-2013, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by coopah
    I do this same thing. Figure I'll be dead before many of them get done, but it's fun to dream! Also, it saves time leafing through the magazine and getting distracted with quilts that I know I'll never make. I only keep ones I'll actually make. After I finish the kits I've already bought. Maybe I need to get off here and go sew! :-)
    It took me a few days to sort my tear-outs, but was very well worth my time. I have some with pictures only and file them in a separate binder, and sorted and inserted the rest into separate binders, as per category of the design. Am also amazed at my change of interest in what I may have liked a few years ago and also find that some of the magazines that I haven't torn apart, that I like some patterns better than I thought I did and had not marked. I have so-o-o much fabric and m-a-n-y patterns and a few kits but not enough time to work on any of it.
    Old 06-23-2013, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Quilt-Till-U-Wilt
    I tear out what I like. I buy the see through notebook inserts, slip them in the plastic insert, and put them in large spiral ring notebooks. You could have a notebook for runners, one for quilts, wall hangings etc. I've found the large business notebooks at sales for 50 cents each.
    I was doing the very same thing. I went through years of magazines when I was off work on medical. Picked out what I liked but kept the last two years in my magazine cases. Then I began to feel guilty. What if someone else could have used those patterns? So, now I am a little more particular. I put a sticky note on a project. After the two years are up and I review that magazine again, if I'm still in love with the pattern I scan or copy just those I want to save -- and forward the magazine to a fellow quilter. Since retiring, I've been working with "less fortunate" women, teaching them quilting, so I have no problem recycling those magazines.
    Old 06-23-2013, 05:42 PM

I had a little trouble at first tearing the patterns out of the magazines, because I hated to mess up my magazines, BUT at some point, I realized I have way TOOOO many magazines and they do take up space, so now I have resolved myself to start cutting out the ones I really want to keep and put them into clear plastic sheet protectors and store them in notebooks labeled with the different categories.