Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Rag Quilt >
  • Rag Quilt

• Rag Quilt

Old 01-04-2013, 09:21 AM

Default Rag Quilt

I am making a rag quilt for my GS. Can I mix flannel with homespun fabric? And do I have to use a batting between? Thanks for any help you can give me. This is my first rag quilt, and heard they were fun to make.
    Old 01-04-2013, 09:37 AM
    Power Poster

yes you can mix homespuns and flannels---regular cottons too---the batting is your choice---living in the U.P. i would think you would want to.
    when i make raggy quilts i (generally) cut my batting squares 1" smaller than my (blocks) sometimes i piece blocks- sometimes they are just squares- layer a top, batting centered- back- then stitch an X across each block---sew them together with the backs together- in rows then together- clip the edges (generally about 1/4" clips-i don't measure i just clip, clip, clip) then take it outside & give it a good shake... wash, take it out & give it another good shake- then into the dryer- check the lint trap after a few minutes- empty it, take the quilt out & shake it again; i check the lint trap about every 15-20 minutes & shake the quilt out 2 or 3 times during the drying process.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]385784[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails baby-genius-raggy-detail.jpg  
    Old 01-04-2013, 09:38 AM
    Power Poster

the above quilt is a mixture of flannels & regular cottons- with batting
    Old 01-04-2013, 09:44 AM

Great fabric choices for rag quilt, because they 'bloom' much better than cotton.

Are you doing the homespun on one side and the flannel on the other?

Batting is not necessary.
    Old 01-04-2013, 09:47 AM

I use flannel instead of batting. I cut the flannel and squares the same size so that when you clip the edges, the flannel is included in the fray. Great way to up small pieces of flannel because you can use diffrent colors for each square. Rag quilts are a lot of fun!
    Old 01-04-2013, 10:31 AM

I made one using cotton on top and 2 layers of flannel. I used 2 different colors of flannel. Because of the 2 layers of flannel I didn't use any batting
    Old 01-04-2013, 10:34 AM

Thanks for all the help. I LOVE the quilt pictured above. just have good size pieces of each, flannel and homespun. Also found my turning twenty pattern, and considered that, so I could use more of my fabric. Sounds like fun. Thanks again. I just thought I would mix them on both sides,
    or is that not smart?

Last edited by Molly B; 01-04-2013 at 10:36 AM.
    Old 01-04-2013, 10:43 AM

And dont forget that you can piece blocks to make them the size you need from scraps. We did that and got a whole rag quilt from a bag of scraps donated by one of our members.
    Old 01-04-2013, 10:45 AM
    QM
    Power Poster

Up to you, just like the batting. BTW, I prefer the extra softness and warms if batting.
    Old 01-04-2013, 10:49 AM

What a great quilt!!! But then again, All your quilts are great!!! You are one of my QB hero's!

Originally Posted by ckcowl
    yes you can mix homespuns and flannels---regular cottons too---the batting is your choice---living in the U.P. i would think you would want to.
    when i make raggy quilts i (generally) cut my batting squares 1" smaller than my (blocks) sometimes i piece blocks- sometimes they are just squares- layer a top, batting centered- back- then stitch an X across each block---sew them together with the backs together- in rows then together- clip the edges (generally about 1/4" clips-i don't measure i just clip, clip, clip) then take it outside & give it a good shake... wash, take it out & give it another good shake- then into the dryer- check the lint trap after a few minutes- empty it, take the quilt out & shake it again; i check the lint trap about every 15-20 minutes & shake the quilt out 2 or 3 times during the drying process.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]385784[/ATTACH]