Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Rag Quilting error >
  • Rag Quilting error

• Rag Quilting error

Old 05-17-2020, 02:30 PM

Default Rag Quilting error

I just discovered a mistake in the quilt after I have already snipped it and washed it. I sewed an entire row backwards. 🙄 Can I fix this or just live with it. It’s a gift for my grandson and I’m having a hard time giving it with a mistake.

wagsrn
    Old 05-17-2020, 02:34 PM

Ouch! It's a terrible thing to happen but it has happened to most of us at one point or another or to some degree or another.

Yes, you can take everything out and redo it, sometimes that is the best course of action. Generally there is a lot of bad language involved if it is me, but sometimes, there is just no choice.

Other times you look at it and think about it and use it as a life lesson about how you worked so hard to make this perfect, but it just didn't quite work out that way. And that's good for a grandson to know that maybe he doesn't have to be perfect to be loved either but can be accepted for who each of you are.

I've added in my camera as part of my quilting tools -- I catch so many things in pictures that I don't see in real life.
    Old 05-17-2020, 03:28 PM

When I was trying to figure out how I made such a big error I realized I didn’t take any pictures of this quilt while I was putting it together. I usually take a picture of several different layouts. The other thing I know I did was push to finish it. Stayed up late trying to get it done. Next time I go to bed and finish when I’m fresh. Lol
    Old 05-17-2020, 04:07 PM

I know that sinking feeling when we discover our mistakes.

What part is backwards? A design block or an obvious fabric? Remember, you made it with love. This quilt could be a fun memory for a long time. Plus a quilt is used and looked at from all views.
    Old 05-17-2020, 05:12 PM

Could we see a picture of the problem area? Sometimes, applique, or a written messages can make the change into a design decision. Maybe even using the permanent pins to draw something. How old is the grandson? A youngster won't notice and the quilt will need washing more than one an older child has.
    Old 05-17-2020, 05:44 PM
    Power Poster

Is it one whole row? I might appliqué some eyes at the top of the row and say it’s the Hungry Hungry caterpillar since all the edges would look like legs?
    Old 05-17-2020, 06:07 PM

Neat idea, Tartan.

I don't know if it would be any easier to add another upside down row at the other end to make it easy to identify top and bottom.

In order to post pictures on Quilting Board, you will probably need to reduce or compress the picture to a file size that is smaller than 2MB. How to post images can be found at https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...020-01-17-.pdf
    Don't forget to scroll over to the far right to find and click on the "Upload" button.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
    Old 05-17-2020, 07:54 PM

Default Rag quilt error(s)

The first photo is the one of my errors. I am not only sewed the last row of the quilt on backwards, I sewed the last bottom right square upside down. It only took me a little over two hours to fix. LOL I am using Minky and it is always a bear to sew with. My machine does Not want to sew over all those layers when I add the rows together. It sometimes takes me 3 to 4 attempts for each joint.

The second photo is the quilt after I fixed my errors. I am so glad I took the time to go back and do it correctly. I didn’t find my errors until I was putting it in the gift bag. His birthday is tomorrow and I was feeling the time crunch. I want my grandson to keep this quilt as a keepsake. Thanks all for your support. I knew what I needed to do.
    Attached Thumbnails 9adaddaa-37e0-4603-b343-7ddcd49ed28e.jpeg   b3f9a2a7-a712-4509-bae0-83c8e339afdd.jpeg  

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-18-2020 at 03:50 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
    Old 05-17-2020, 08:49 PM
    Power Poster

Very cute!
    Old 05-17-2020, 10:59 PM
    Power Poster

Turned out cute! I am glad you fixed it.

It took me a while to figure out what the problem was, but after I saw it, it would have bothered me a lot if it had been mine.