Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • reading the quilt pattern >
  • reading the quilt pattern

• reading the quilt pattern

Old 06-20-2011, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by jmabby
    For me it took 3-4 quilts before I felt comfortable reading them. This is what I do on paper
    1) Make a copy of the pattern to write notes on
    Fabrics needed:
    2)On copy of the pattern check the list of fabric to cut and label them A, B, C, D etc; do the same with the cutting instructions
    3) Now mark the quilt layout diagram to corespond with their fabric A, B, C, D etc.
    3) Write down all the colors
    after the colors I write down the fabric I will be using
    Example:pattern: A) 1/4 yard small orange primrose(#3005-33, Gold/Rust) (my fabric) rust shamrock
    B) 2/3 yard large gold orchid (#3002-33, forest gold) (my fabric) rust/gold gnomes etc.

Now I can easily see by following the pattern which fabric I will use replacing the pattern colors with my colors.
    Make sense so far??

Now I go to cutting fabric
    Cutting fabric:
    A From the small orange primrose cut------- rust shammrock
    B From large gold orchid cut---------- rust gold gnomes
    etc

If you do this it keeps your mind in order, or does mine. The rest I write down notes where I make changes or write something that takes awhile to figure out. I have a 3 ring binder with sheets of copies of quilts I have made with my notes, next time it will be a breeze. By making a copy if you make the quilt again you can start with a fresh copy and write down the new colors. I keep these loose pages by my machine and continously use them while, cutting and piecing all the time. Good luck
    Perfect response and exactly how I have to do it! I am mentally challenged if I don't see my material in that pattern LOL unless there are just a few fabrics. Well, I don't have the notebook yet since I have only made 3 large quilts, but that is a wonderful idea!
    Old 06-20-2011, 10:05 AM

Patterns usually suggest reading the whole thing first, which I do. However, when it seems to be muddled in my brain, my advice always is to go ahead and do it, following the instructions one at a time and this usually works. It seems breaking it down makes it easier to understand.
    Old 06-20-2011, 10:10 AM

Have you tried looking on e-how or somewhere on how to make the quilt?

I like to look at the pattern (closely) then read the instrustions. If I can recognise parts of the pattern, I'm more willing to make it. But, even with a pattern, finding a video helps lots.
    Old 06-20-2011, 10:11 AM

Try doing a "mock" block. Just take the pattern one step at a time, and it will come together for you
    Old 06-20-2011, 10:31 AM

sometimes f. and p.have mistakes in their patterns . you can go to their web site and go to correction page and you fine it there. but it looked to me like they were saying cut 2-4 7/8 " blocks then , cut them in half
    Old 06-20-2011, 10:32 AM

Sometimes when I use colors that are totally different than what the pattern calls for I tape a tiny piece of my fabrics either in the area where it tells you the colors that are used in the picture or on another piece of paper and number them color 1: color 2: etc. I found that this saves a lot of headaches. Hope this helps...
    Old 06-20-2011, 10:44 AM

I don't know if you are talking about a specific pattern, but if a pattern says to cut a square (in this instance) 4 7/8" then cut in half, they mean to cut on the diagonal so that you will end up with two triangles.
    Old 06-20-2011, 10:50 AM

I am sooo glad you asked this question because I have the same problem, I get confused & mixed up when trying to apply my own color scheme. I'm going to try jmabby's suggestion. This board is such a great source of information & everyone is so very kind & encouraging.
    Old 06-20-2011, 10:52 AM

I do as jmabby does and supply a little sample of the fabric I am using to correspond to the color they are using in the pattern. Works for me to understand which goes where.
    Old 06-20-2011, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Jackie54
    Thanks everyone, my pattern is Joesph's Pinwheel by fons& porter. I know its not a hard pattern, but I make it hard.It is in this months issuse book from Fons& Porter. I think alot of it is, because I dont use their choice of material, so when it tells me to say like go with blue poka dot material cut 4 7/8 wide strip, from strip cut 2 4 7/8 squares. Cut squares in half diagonally to make 4 half square. Now am I makeing a mountain out of a nothing.If you have the issue of the book it is on page 62.

Thanks everyone for your help.
    I write on my patterns. If I am having trouble keeping the colors straight I write in what color I am using. Also, when I am buying the fabric I make notes on the pattern which fabric is for which one. This becomes more important the more fabrics you are working with.