Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • A real word challenge... >
  • A real word challenge...

• A real word challenge...

Old 01-02-2016, 08:55 PM

For me scrappy quilts use smaller pieces and take more time so they are even more valuable in my mind than some of my other masterpieces. I love scrappies and think the name is endearing. So scrap on everyone. We are the experts in the scrap department!
    Old 01-02-2016, 09:01 PM

I will continue to call them scrappy quilts. I don't much care what non quilters perception of them are. They are, after all, non quilters and so don't really have much knowledge of quilts anyway.
    Old 01-02-2016, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by maviskw
    Those misspellings bother me also. Like there and their, to and too and two, here and hear, bear and bare; there are lots more. Too many people don't really know the difference. And as a teacher, I just want to reach for my red pencil. LOL
    How about viola instead of voila. That one makes me giggle. Back to the original topic, I have no problem with the word scrappy. Mostly because I can't think of a better substitute.

Last edited by quiltsRfun; 01-02-2016 at 10:14 PM.
    Old 01-03-2016, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun
    How about viola instead of voila. That one makes me giggle. Back to the original topic, I have no problem with the word scrappy. Mostly because I can't think of a better substitute.
    That ain't nuthin' At least there's an attempt and that could be a simple typo - I've seen it spelled 'walla' and 'wallah'!
    Old 01-03-2016, 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by zozee
    Oh, I had one ALMOST mortifying auto-correct mistake. I had a bag of school uniforms to pass down from my son to his younger friend. I had arranged to give them to the boy's dad as we were waiting in the carpool line. I texted him when I got to the line. I INTENDED to write, "Hi, Bob. I have clothes for you." But just before I hit "send" I proofread. Good thing I did. The word "clothes" had been changed to "urges."
    Thank you, Zozee, that was so funny! My laugh for the day!!
    Old 01-03-2016, 04:01 AM

I make a lot of "scrappy" quilts, but I refer to them as quilts made from my stash or "stash quilts." It is not a scrap when you pay $10.99+ for a yard of fabric. Here is my favorite "stash quilt."
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]539285[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails 2005-snappy-scrappy-7.jpg  
    Old 01-03-2016, 04:14 AM

In the beginning quilts were made from the scraps of worn clothing and the few precious scraps from making cloths for the family. Just because they were made from scraps did not prevent the quilters from creating beautiful works. I have a Double Wedding Ring quilt that was made for my 85 yr.old MIL's grandmother's hope chest. The scraps were traded amongst the ladies during their quilt gatherings. I still cut up the good parts of worn clothing to add to my scrap collection.
    Old 01-03-2016, 04:50 AM

Getting back to a substitute word, what about varietal? The dictionary says it is the adjective for the word variety, which is a collection of different things (in this case, fabric). We could sound very "snooty" by saying, "I only make varietal quilts", LaDiDa!!! As I see it, scrap or scrappy, means leftovers from other projects that are combined to make beautiful quilts with lots of variety and depth that may be missing from quilts that are made from coordinates. With today's level of affluence, people may have a negative feeling towards scraps, leftovers, as if all quilts should be made from freshly bought fabric. I love the memories that are triggered by seeing the different fabrics in my scrappies and thinking about where and when those fabrics came from. JMHO.

Sorry to end my message with a preposition! Haha.

Last edited by QltrSue; 01-03-2016 at 04:53 AM. Reason: Add a comment
    Old 01-03-2016, 06:11 AM

I would use the term scrappy when talking to quilting buddies. As they would understand the meaning behind the word. When talking to a layman or those other people, I would use whatever the pattern is called (if there is one) or come up with a name. As in...this is my Sunshine quilt.
    Old 01-03-2016, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by DeneK
    My eyes see the spelling errors and I move on. I would not want anyone to feel uncomfortable about posting because the grammar police are watching. We say there are no quilt police here. For my part, there aren't any grammar police either.
    I really feel the same way, but don't say anything about it because I don't want anyone to feel embarrassed. But this thread got hi-jacked, by me! (Is that the way you spell hi-jacked? My computer thinks it is OK.) On post nine I wrote about words that sound alike, (homonyms) and I guess I tripped everybody's trigger.
    I do love reading posts from others who agree with me! !
    My granddaughter was writing a short note, and wrote "are" when she meant "our". Teachers don't even correct that any more. I told her the difference, and she was old enough to learn that.
    Sometimes I find even the teachers don't know a lot of the stuff we took for granted.

Last edited by maviskw; 01-03-2016 at 06:38 AM.