Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • A real word challenge... >
  • A real word challenge...

• A real word challenge...

Old 01-03-2016, 07:26 AM

Totally agree with Easypeezy and her DH! What would we call my grandmothers, DWR, made in the 1930's(during the depression), completely hand sewn quilts?
    My choice of words: heirloom, irreplaceable, blanket of love, comfort quilt, Work of Art.
    My grandma has been gone 39 years, I don't see scrappy, I feel the legacy of her love.
    If people want to snivel over a word or wording, they are missing the point of a quilt. JMHO.
    Old 01-03-2016, 07:28 AM

I like scrappy too.
    Old 01-03-2016, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by nannykins8
    I was reading the ads in my daughter's newspaper and found this "boarder collie for sale". That cracked me up and we laugh about it still. And as a former teacher, spelling errors make me want to red pencil them. Sometimes though, I think Spellcheck is the culprit.
    Spellcheck and now Auto-correct, too. I try to assume that one of them is at fault, but I know that often it is not technology, rather it is folks either not knowing the correct spelling or not editing their own writing. And since I am not immune to that sometimes, I try not to let it get to me. I am still a work-in-progress.
    Old 01-03-2016, 08:12 AM

I guess I have a very thick skin, because I really do not care what others think of me or my work. I am more than happy with what I am able to produce. I have spent hundred on one quilt and zip on another. Both are beautiful (in my eyes)!
    Old 01-03-2016, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by nannykins8
    I was reading the ads in my daughter's newspaper and found this "boarder collie for sale". That cracked me up and we laugh about it still. And as a former teacher, spelling errors make me want to red pencil them. Sometimes though, I think Spellcheck is the culprit.
    I saw an ad for a "red healer" dog for sale. That would be one valuable dog.
    Old 01-03-2016, 09:19 AM

I agree with all of you. But for maviskw, I find when I'm typing on here sometimes it won't get all the letters so looks like I don't know how to spell. I do - but I have found, if I type slow it will pick up all the keys I strike. But then maybe it's my I-net. I've done several scrappy quilts; or quilts made from 'leftovers'. I think they (scrappy quilts) are gorgeous and are only limited by the imagination of the creator.
    Old 01-03-2016, 09:27 AM

Quiltforfun.....love your scrappy! Tell us how or name of pattern....thanks
    Old 01-03-2016, 10:48 AM

I have always loved scrappy quilts. I thought at one time that I would get over this "quilting phase" but I still here. I refer to them as multi fabric quilts rather than scrappy quilts. Multi fabric sounds a little more intentional and planned and not just something that you grabbed out of your scrap bin. If I want red in a quilt, I always use at least six reds or more!
    Old 01-03-2016, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by bj
    I think they look like confetti. I love scrappy!
    Me too! There's a certain charm to "scrappy" quilts. I call mine Scrappy Happy because they make me smile.
    Old 01-03-2016, 01:32 PM
    Swap Hosts

My personal annoyance is SELVAGE (Noun -the edge of woven fabric finished so as to prevent raveling, often in a narrow tape effect, different from the body of the fabric v. SALVAGE (Verb - to save goods from damage or destruction, especially from a ship that has sunk or been)

Originally Posted by maviskw
    Those misspellings bother me also. Like there and their, to and too and two, here and hear, bear and bare; there are lots more. Too many people don't really know the difference. And as a teacher, I just want to reach for my red pencil. LOL