Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • A real word challenge... >
  • A real word challenge...

• A real word challenge...

Old 01-03-2016, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by maviskw
    Those misspellings bother me also. Like there and their, to and too and two, here and hear, bear and bare; there are lots more. Too many people don't really know the difference. And as a teacher, I just want to reach for my red pencil. LOL
    I also hate to see words used the wrong way. It's in newspapers, church bulletins, radio announcers. It's all over the place. I used to take English scholarship tests, so those things jump right out for me. However, since this is a quilting board, I bite my tongue and listen to their ideas.
    Old 01-03-2016, 05:58 PM

Barbara, I love this quilt!!
    Great pattern and excellent use of lots of pretty fabrics.
    Old 01-03-2016, 07:28 PM

agree! no judgements needed.
    Old 01-03-2016, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by DeneK
    My eyes see the spelling errors and I move on. I would not want anyone to feel uncomfortable about posting because the grammar police are watching. We say there are no quilt police here. For my part, there aren't any grammar police either.
    I agree! No grammar police here.
    Old 01-03-2016, 07:53 PM

too many QUILT POLICE , Grammar police and Politically correct to suit me. Done is better than perfect. and spelling is a persons choice, JUST Sayin.

Last edited by CMARAS1234; 01-03-2016 at 07:54 PM. Reason: addition
    Old 01-03-2016, 08:35 PM

Spelling isn't really a personal choice, its either right or wrong, just an fyi lol
    Old 01-03-2016, 10:43 PM

Some incorrect spellings bother me, because it takes time to figure out what the writer was trying to say. For instance, someone once asked how you cut your Muslim. Once I read the rest of the post, I figured out that she meant muslin, but throughout the conversation she repeatedly used the word Muslim, so I don't think it was a simple typo. However, if you ask about it, or try to clarify, no matter how gently or sweetly, there are some who will crucify you for being so "mean and critical". I guess it's more politically correct to allow people to make mistakes and appear uneducated? Honestly, I'd rather someone let me know.

How about the word "flimsy"? The first few times I heard that word, I used to bristle, thinking someone was calling my work cheap. But then I realized that it's simply a different term for an unquilted top, and now I chuckle about it.

On another note, someone brought up "advise" and "advice" as an example. In American English, these two words mean two different things: "Advise" is a verb, meaning to give someone direction. "Advice" is a noun, such as the actual directions given. But in "British" (and possibly Australian?) English, both words are spelled the same, and the meaning has to be drawn from the context. So it's not necessarily true that someone mixed up the words out of ignorance.

I have a nephew who has traveled extensively overseas, and he once joked about what he calls "the abuse of the U and neglect of the Z" in non-American English. We had to think about it, then we started laughing when we thought about "harbor" and "harbour", "color" and "colour", "realize" and "realise". You gotta love language.
    Old 01-04-2016, 12:11 AM

I don't mind the word scrappy. I do agree that to some people it seems to make the quilt sound "cheap". I have no idea what to do about it except around "nonquilters" to not call it anything except a quilt.

As to the misspellings, etc. Sometimes it is easy to see they are spell checker changes. Sometimes they are funny. But constantly writing "boarder" (someone who pays to live in another person's building/home, etc) instead of "border" just looks uneducated. I can't help but wonder about that person's lack of observation skills. But some people just don't know notice spelling. I make plenty of mistakes. On this group, you can't change it after 20 minutes but on other forums, like FB, you can go back and change it.

My biggest problem when I see a lot of mistakes --it can quickly add to the perception that we are uneducated/unskilled, and that people who sew "only sew because they can't do real work" type of attitude.

That attitude exists among many people. We can help combat it by using the best grammar we know.

(It would help to be able to edit our posts more than 20 minutes later...as sometimes we may post and run and then come back later and see something we'd like to change. My opinion only here...)
    Old 01-04-2016, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish
    Some incorrect spellings bother me, because it takes time to figure out what the writer was trying to say. Honestly, I'd rather someone let me know.

On another note, someone brought up "advise" and "advice" as an example. In American English, these two words mean two different things: "Advise" is a verb, meaning to give someone direction. "Advice" is a noun, such as the actual directions given. But in "British" (and possibly Australian?) English, both words are spelled the same, and the meaning has to be drawn from the context. So it's not necessarily true that someone mixed up the words out of ignorance.

I have a nephew who has traveled extensively overseas, and he once joked about what he calls "the abuse of the U and neglect of the Z" in non-American English. We had to think about it, then we started laughing when we thought about "harbor" and "harbour", "color" and "colour", "realize" and "realise". You gotta love language.
    Hope you meant what you said about you'd rather let someone know when you're wrong............

In British English 'advise' is indeed a verb and 'advice' a noun - not sure if that's your nephew misinforming you (again).

With regard to your nephew's novel critique, the first English Language dictionary was published in 1755 (in England). It wasn't until nearly 100 years later the American Dictionary of the English Language was published...........

We also spell 'traveled' as 'travelled'. Next time your nephew is over this way ask him to call in and I can advise him him further and give him some advice
    Old 01-04-2016, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by maviskw
    Those misspellings bother me also. Like there and their, to and too and two, here and hear, bear and bare; there are lots more. Too many people don't really know the difference. And as a teacher, I just want to reach for my red pencil. LOL
    I totally agree with you and as a retired teacher I also want to grab a red pencil, or give them a quick grammar lesson. I also cringe when I hear many of the "educated" news people or public speakers using incorrect grammar .