Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Really upset... >
  • Really upset...

• Really upset...

Old 07-02-2010, 12:05 PM

[quote=fliedermaus]Thank you everyone for all the thoughts. Made me feel a bit better about it. Successfully unpicked the mess and can continue.

The young man in question is 10 years old and the youngest of two. Unfortunately he tends to get spoilt while the other doesn't. He got banished into our dining room til his mum got home, and when I told her what he had done she went ballistic. I think he wont dare try something like that again!

I will probably hear it for this but here goes,
    I would suggest always checking the settings before sewing too, just because you never know....
    I have 3 boys, one is now 19, and two 13 year olds.My now 19 year old was my hand ful! One time he did something similar, I too, got very upset with him.I sat and made him help take it out.(I watching the whole time) After things had simmered (a couple of hours)down, I asked him if he would like to "try" out my machine. I explained how to thread, wind bobbin, and sew with it, the whole shebang, I never had another problem with him and it. So, when the twins started being "interested" in my machine instead of telling them don't touch, with them I asked if they would like to try it out? I would show them how to thread, and the whole bit and let them do it. I also told them anytime they wanted to let me know and they could sew too.
    Now one day when I was out in my garden, one of my twins was "busy at the machine" unknown to me. When I came in the house he showed me what he was creating, he had taken a bunch of precut squares and was sewing them together and had many strips started.(But all was good because I had showed him how to do it correctly and let him try before)
    He went on to finish the quilt and he even got to do the quilting on it and entered it in our local quilt show. I have also had some of their friends ask about what I was doing at the machine, and then if they could try too. If I am at a stopping point I always let them.(it seems to cure the "want to do something to it", and at the same time lets them own it and they are not inclined to bother it or mess it up. I've never had another problem with buttons being moved or any of that.
    When I got my long arm this last Feb. I did the same thing, and have never had any problems with it either.
    I did not mean for this to go on so long, but I know how easy it is to get so upset with these guys (and rightly so) and sometimes just a bit of building up and sharing what we do with them will relieve so much michieveousness.
    I apologize for being soooo long winded.
    Old 07-02-2010, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by erstan947
    That is grounds for banishment!!!!! Rule # 1 nobody and I mean NOBODY messes with my sewing stuff!
    I agree. If he is old enough to know better then he should be punished. Maybe make him rip out the mess? With you supervision of course.
    Old 07-02-2010, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by katiebear1
    Originally Posted by erstan947
    That is grounds for banishment!!!!! Rule # 1 nobody and I mean NOBODY messes with my sewing stuff!
    I agree. If he is old enough to know better then he should be punished. Maybe make him rip out the mess? With you supervision of course.
    Not sure I'd let my 10 yr. old grandson near my quilt with anything sharp!!! :lol: :lol:
    Old 07-02-2010, 12:35 PM

I have one of those computerize sewing machines and have to admit I hit a button or two and change the stitch. It is so frustrating and I didn't do it on purpose. That's why I guess we have the fan dangle rippers for.
    Old 07-02-2010, 12:36 PM

You can spell it anyway you like. I was just curious :-)
    Old 07-02-2010, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by mannem
    You can spell it anyway you like. I was just curious :-)
    Nah, it's cool, I understand completely where you're coming from. I must confess I havent heard that opera, I'm not very cultured lol. :lol:
    Old 07-02-2010, 12:41 PM

JAGSD- that was a lovely story, thank you for sharing it. It's great that he went on to make his own quilt. If I thought my little horror (bless him) would take to it I'd offer it, but DN is a very, shall we say, man's man- into rugby and the like, and thinks sewing is silly. Shame really.
    Old 07-02-2010, 12:42 PM

Wow, I am so sorry that happened to you. As a beginning machine quilter myself I understand how awful that must have felt. But on a bright side, many quilts from now, you can always tell this tale--"You won't believe what happened on my very first machine quilted quilt....." A very good friend has taught me that awful happenings make great stories later.
    Old 07-02-2010, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by fliedermaus
    JAGSD- that was a lovely story, thank you for sharing it. It's great that he went on to make his own quilt. If I thought my little horror (bless him) would take to it I'd offer it, but DN is a very, shall we say, man's man- into rugby and the like, and thinks sewing is silly. Shame really.
    Believe me If he knew I had told, he would be pretty upset with me. He did this when he was 9 years, and can't say he has sewed any since, but nor does he bother the machines.
    I would say mine is a mans man too and always has been, he works cattle, he plays football, baseball, 4 wheelers, hunts, does Archery, Target and Hunting, Rides horse, Camping, Swimming, Basketball, shoots potoato guns, throws hay bales you name it. They always get the option whether it be silly or not.
    Old 07-02-2010, 02:05 PM

Looks like you have solved this problem before. I know how it is with twins. You do survive Mine are boy girl now 38.