Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • REASON for increase in fabric prices? >
  • REASON for increase in fabric prices?

• REASON for increase in fabric prices?

Old 06-03-2010, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by fktsewing
    Hancocks of Paducah's owner is the one who told a co-worker of mine who went to shop in his store that prices are going up more than they ever have. I know someone who has a business that makes items in China, and he said that part of it is the rise in cost of fuel and that China is raising their prices to manufacture items, be it fabric, decorations, etc because the factories there want more money. He said it was pretty much the word all around oversees. Besides, have you seen the prices at the grocery store lately? It really does not surprise me.
    I will be shopping my stash first and then only adding what I need for a project.
    It makes sense that now that we have moved most of our manufacturing to China because of the cheaper wages that the costs of doing business there would go up. The workers now expect a better standard of living just as workers here did a hundred years ago and that means higher salaries. Also, China has power because we have handed it over to them and can't make anything ourselves anymore.
    Old 06-03-2010, 06:14 PM

If we support the companies that are still in the US then maybe more companies open up here. I try to buy things that are made in the good old USA. I worked in the garment industry for 10 years. The company was family own and made all there product in the US. They went in partship with a larger company. Little by little the larger company took control bought them out. From that time everything came from over seas. Half of the time it was poorly made. We would have to ship it to a company to be fix.
    Old 06-03-2010, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by katsewnsew
    Oh, no! I thought they printed it here, too! Now isn't that false advertising when they say made in USA??
    Fact is the printing process can be a not-so healthy thing. With all the OCHA regulations, in addition to the LABOR involved, US fabric would cost a TON more.
    Old 06-04-2010, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by LadybugPam
    Originally Posted by katsewnsew
    Oh, no! I thought they printed it here, too! Now isn't that false advertising when they say made in USA??
    Fact is the printing process can be a not-so healthy thing. With all the OCHA regulations, in addition to the LABOR involved, US fabric would cost a TON more.
    cranston print works in webster ma is still printing away....its good quality fabric & it is available at joannes...i've used several, but didn't realize it was printed here until we started picking it up (work for a trucking co) it held up fine to hot water wash & cotton dryer settings...

i've had skids of it on my dock and have been able to feel it around the shrink wrap...(it is shipped on rolls). it has a great hand to it.

i found a great green on on skid & called arlene in cranston's shipping office, she was nice enough to look up the order & give me the name & code #s for the fabric so i could pick some up...it was just what i needed to finish a baby quilt.
    Old 06-04-2010, 04:07 AM
    Power Poster

I didnt know Cranson was made in the USA. Good to know, I like it too.
    Old 06-04-2010, 04:18 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Sorry to tell you, but Cranston closed their printing department a year ago. Their goods are now printed overseas, like almost every other company. They come in on big rolls, and Cranston wraps them on bolts in their Massachusetts plant.

Santee is the only company that I know of that still prints in the US. Quite a bit of the lower-priced fabrics on the calico wall at JoAnn's are designs that are from Santee.
    Old 06-10-2010, 08:10 AM

I won't have to buy fabric for a while!! I was checking out my favorite thrift shop this week...my first stop is always looking for a machine that wants a new home. Then wander over to linens, fabric, all that misc. stuff. I happened to see a lady coming out from the back room with a large shelving rack with what looked like fabric. I followed her and as she started putting these pieces of fabric out, I grabbed them. My arms were full so she asked me if I wanted her to get me a cart from the front. I just said, pretty please. When I got home I started sorting through them...they were all Hoffman prints with no less than one yard but most in two yard cuts. There were even a couple with more than three yards. My grand total was 38 yards of fabric for $18.13!!!! That evens out to just over $.47 a yard!! I was definitely in the right place at the right time. It will never happen again, I'm sure but I'm glad it was my day.
    Old 06-10-2010, 08:18 AM

May we all will have a day like that. Would like to see pictures. Enjoy and I am happy for you. woo~hoo
    Old 06-10-2010, 08:30 AM

What a find :!: :!: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
    Old 06-10-2010, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by cjaye44
    I won't have to buy fabric for a while!! I was checking out my favorite thrift shop this week...my first stop is always looking for a machine that wants a new home. Then wander over to linens, fabric, all that misc. stuff. I happened to see a lady coming out from the back room with a large shelving rack with what looked like fabric. I followed her and as she started putting these pieces of fabric out, I grabbed them. My arms were full so she asked me if I wanted her to get me a cart from the front. I just said, pretty please. When I got home I started sorting through them...they were all Hoffman prints with no less than one yard but most in two yard cuts. There were even a couple with more than three yards. My grand total was 38 yards of fabric for $18.13!!!! That evens out to just over $.47 a yard!! I was definitely in the right place at the right time. It will never happen again, I'm sure but I'm glad it was my day.
    I am in love with all of them
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]83079[/ATTACH]

the two on left are not Hoffmans
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]83080[/ATTACH]

there are a few more being washed
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]83081[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-83074.jpe   attachment-83075.jpe   attachment-83076.jpe