Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • The recent topic of do you pay over x amount has gotten me to thinking. >
  • The recent topic of do you pay over x amount has gotten me to thinking.

• The recent topic of do you pay over x amount has gotten me to thinking.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:07 AM

loopy wren that is wonderful news!
    Old 09-10-2010, 07:05 PM

Ladies overseas, let me take your side right now. American quilters are extremely lucky with fabric prices. When I visited my son in England 2 years ago, I was astounded at the price of fabric there and these ladies are right, they have no other choice. If they order from the states, the "Queen" adds on her taxes to the price so she can live in the luxury she is accustomed to. The first box I sent to my son for his first Christmas there cost me over $75.00 to ship and it was not a large box. If I send now, it is in small boxes with a cost below $25 so the Queen cannot put a tax on it. But mostly, my son buys when he visits America and puts it inbetween his clothes in his suitcase to go home. We went to a LQS near him when I was there and the owner and customers could not believe I , an American was buying fabric over there instead of here in the states. Comparable---a $10.00 per yard batik over here is about $22.00 (american money) over there.
    Old 09-10-2010, 07:23 PM

Fascinating. You know American patchwork quilting started because of the high tariffs on imported cloth. Every piece was so precious that innovative colonists saved and piec3ed scraps together!
    Old 09-10-2010, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by quilter on the eastern edge
    Canada reporting in! I can go to my LQS and buy good quality quilting cotton for $12 - $16 a metre (batiks are more expensive). Or I can go to Wally World and buy crapola for $5.00 - $7.00 a metre, which is what they sell here. I feel that if I am going to make a quilt and spend all of that time and energy on it, I want the materials to be of high quality. So I use very good quality fabric, thread (Mettler's silk-finish 100% cotton), batting and backing. I don't mind paying the $$$$ for quality materials but, that being said, I don't make very many large quilts because it is cost-prohibitive.

I also order online quite a bit because I can get good prices, a much wider selection of good quality, brand name fabrics, and I have access to full collections of co-ordinating fabrics (Hancock's of Paducah and Over the Rainbow are my favourites). So I have that option available to me if I choose to use it.

I don't feel like I am being gouged or anything - that's just the way it is, with fabric as with anything else. Everything cost more here on the Eastern Edge than it does in the US (actually most things cost more here than in most other parts of Canada :cry: ).

So, no, don't send tea bags. I can buy them here ( for about $4.00 for a box of 72!) ;-)
    Over the Rainbow is a little over an hour ferry boat ride from me!
    Old 09-11-2010, 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by Mirabelle
    Yes we pay far too much for fabric in Australia, yes we all understand about buying local and all that but I recently wanted to purchase some Robert Kaufmann Fusions from my local quilt shop and the price was $26 per meter
    (which is 39 inches). So home I come and get on the ole computer and ordered what I wanted over the internet. Landed in Australia only cost me $11 per yard...
    Most of us are on limited income or self funded retirees so we have to careful how much we spend on our addiction er sorry hobby :-)
    Like Mirabelle, I shop where the cheapest fabrics are. Here in Queensland the two best shops for me is Bargain Box with fabrics going full priced at $13 per meter and they do sell a lot at 1/2 price lately to make room for more stock. I go the the craft shows twice a year where some of the discount fabric shop sell for $10 per meter, and it is not easy to save up enough money to go and spend up big at those prices. Being on a pension does make it hard.
    Old 09-11-2010, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by galvestonangel
    If I came over with fabric for my friends, would that be taxable? If I am bringing it for myself, is that taxable?

We have not decided which country we will be flying into, but do all countries (England, Ireland, France) tax things I, a US citizen, would bring in for my personal use or for gifts for my quilter friends. Is there an amount you can bring in without being taxed. In the US you can bring back $600 worth of merchandie without being taxed.

I am asking a lot of questions because I don't see how they can tax me on personal property I'm bringing in. This may be a quilting vacation for me.

This upsets me that a few yards are likely to be taxed.
    I hadn't been keeping up with the thread, but the customs allowances are here, and apply to all of the European Union: http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs...u/index_en.htm

You can see from this that there shouldn't be any issues for you at all. Fortunately customs here in Dublin always seemed more concerned with smuggling and money laundering and agricultural issues than purchases/gifts being brought home. The man who had 40 iPhones in his suitcase some years back wasn't so lucky though, LOL!!
    Old 09-11-2010, 12:30 PM

Thanks for the info. I don't think we will have a problem.
    Old 09-11-2010, 07:24 PM

Reading some of this, makes one wonder whether we ought to gripe so much about taxes.
    Old 09-11-2010, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by 2livesdown7togo
    Reading some of this, makes one wonder whether we ought to gripe so much about taxes.
    Well yeah...

If we don't gripe, then likely they'll raise the taxes more. Griping makes them realize it isn't in there best interest.
    Old 09-14-2010, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I'm just guessing here but it seems that someone overseas could order lots of fabric from say Hancock's of Paducah as a customer sell it for $2 over the cost per yard over what it cost them and sell it out of their home and make a profit. Travel to guilds/groups in the area and sell it to sewers.
    Not to the UK - anything we buy over £18 $27(todays rate) we have to pay £11 import duty. I bought some thread not so long back and I was within £18 when I paid for it, but on the day the parcel arrived on the UK the exchange rate had altered so I had to pay the tax. Not all parcels are checked apparantly but I've been caught everytime.