Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Recomended ruler sizes >
  • Recomended ruler sizes

• Recomended ruler sizes

Old 05-20-2015, 01:30 PM

Default Recomended ruler sizes

I have found a place that offers 18" rulers that have 1/16th'" markings. I have been looking for this kind of ruler for a while. They are a new product by Quilter's Rule called Simply strips rulers. They come in sets and individual sizes. I would like some suggestions for one or two sizes that would be useful. They go from 1 1/2" wide by 18" to 8 1/2" wide.
    Thanks
    Old 05-20-2015, 01:35 PM
    Power Poster

I wouldn't use something 18" in length since most fabric is 22" wide. I never have cut anything at 1/16 marking. Smallest increment I may have ever used in my almost 30 years in quilting is only 1/4". But if you are going to be that precise with your cutting, go for it and good luck.
    Old 05-20-2015, 02:00 PM

I'd probably get the 8 1/2" ruler. I think that some of the smaller ones might be too hard to keep in place as you're cutting. I don't usually cut to a sixteenth, but I can see where these would be useful if you did.

Here's the URL in case anyone wants to see them: http://quiltersrule.com/Rulers/simple-strips.html (I don't have any connection to them.)
    Old 05-21-2015, 04:39 AM
    Power Poster

I have never mastered the 4 fold method of cutting a full length of fabric, so for me the 18" length would be a bit awkward. Too short to cut a full length, but too long to easily maneuver for general cutting. Having said that, however, it would be very convenient to have those standard widths available and not have to measure each time. If you want to get these, I would purchase them as you go for specific projects, or get the sizes you have used the most in the past. I've only had 1 quilt which called for 1/16" measurements and I just eyeballed the middle of the 1/8" marks.
    Old 05-21-2015, 06:31 AM

I don't see the need for 1/16" markings, either, but if this is something you need, then I'd suggest getting the largest one they have. With an 8-1/2" ruler, you can cut strips from 1/2" up to 8-1/2", so why bother spending the money for a narrower one.

That being said, I prefer the Creative Grids rulers because they have the non-slip spots on them.
    Old 05-21-2015, 11:01 AM
    Power Poster

If you're a mini quilter then maybe.