Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Recommend a CHEAP machine, please! >
  • Recommend a CHEAP machine, please!

• Recommend a CHEAP machine, please!

Old 05-23-2010, 03:36 PM

The sad thing here is that I gave away my little Singer because it was having bobbin issues. Now I am KICKING myself! Oh well.... live and learn. I think I will go to a sewing and vacuum store and see if there are any trade-ins. Thanks!
    Old 05-23-2010, 04:39 PM
    Power Poster

I always look at garage sales too....never fails though, as soon as you buy one, you will see them all over! A trade in is a good idea, I always try to find used first!
    Old 05-23-2010, 06:00 PM
    Power Poster

A new portable Kenmore is the best buy unless you find a vintage Singer. I have the Janome Gem and it's great for classes and the Kenmores are just like it for 1/2 the cost.
    Old 05-23-2010, 06:58 PM

quote=luvt2sing]Brother CS6000I 60-Stitch Computerized Free-Arm Sewing Machine with Multiple Stitch Functions
    This is $150.86 and free shipping at Amazon[/quote]

I have this machine and it works really well, I have had no problems with it, and it is light enough to take anywhere! I have been using it now for almost 2 years and it has completed many many projects
    Old 05-24-2010, 06:23 AM

Go to Allbrands.com
    They usually ship free, no tax, and they back their machines.
    I have purchased 4 machines for family and myself and have never been disappointed. Janome has some good computerized machines at reasonable prices.
    Diana in TX
    Old 05-24-2010, 07:13 AM

Wallmart has small cheaper straight stitch sewing machines under $100.00
    Old 05-24-2010, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by CraftyGirlCreations
    quote=luvt2sing]Brother CS6000I 60-Stitch Computerized Free-Arm Sewing Machine with Multiple Stitch Functions
    This is $150.86 and free shipping at Amazon

I have this machine and it works really well, I have had no problems with it, and it is light enough to take anywhere! I have been using it now for almost 2 years and it has completed many many projects[/quote]

I have this machine as a second machine. I love it. It is lightweight and sews like a dream. It comes with a walking foot and darning foot and bobbins are easily found. The decorative stitches are lovely. IMO a good buy. I got mine at WM for $155 and had 90 days to return it if not satisfied. I had it shipped to my home. Couldn't have been any easier!
    Old 05-24-2010, 07:50 AM

I also have a cheap Brother and you cant beat the quality for the price. Mine was a quilting machine and came with the walking foot and a plastic table. Got it at Tuesday Morning for 129 dollars. Its been a great machine with no problems. I now use it as my backup for my more expensive Viking.
    Old 05-24-2010, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by texas granny
    I have been looking for a lighter weight machine just for the same reason. For workshop or sew-in. Kenmore makes a light weight on I saw several of them at a sewing machine store. $129.00 to 139.00. There are several other kind that are light weight. Janome has a new one that is 12 lbs but its $500.00. So just look around until you can find the one you really want.In your price range. I have seen some everyday that I look on craig's list. They will be brothers or singer. Some truddle.Or Kenmore's Good luck on your search. If your interested in buy from a store out of town pm me and I will tell you the name of the store that had the small kemores
    I saw this new Janome the other day - it is a NICE machine! The best new feature they have on it is a thread cutter. It is more than you wanted to spend, though. Janome makes Kenmore machines and some of your feet would be interchangable, so that might be a good option for you.
    Old 05-24-2010, 07:58 AM

Janome has several machine that have thread cutters. I love my 6600 for that reason....of course there are other features too. A less expensive Janome would be good, so your feet and attachments would fit, just make sure that your "low shank" or "high shank" match the machine you choose.
    Diana