Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Recommendations please:  Best Scissors/snips for fine cuts >
  • Recommendations please: Best Scissors/snips for fine cuts

• Recommendations please: Best Scissors/snips for fine cuts

Old 09-05-2018, 07:16 PM

Karen Kay Buckley's. Sharp as all get-out! Keep Band-aids close by and your eyes at all times on your work. Ask me why I say this. Seriously, best applique scissors ever. Never regretted the cost. Zero frustration like you can experience with lesser quality.
    Old 09-06-2018, 04:07 AM

another vote here for Karen Kay Buckleys! I like the teeny red handled curved blade ones for snipping threads. they are super duper sharp though, i make sure to keep the cover on when I'm not using them. they're on Amazon and several local shops here carry them
    Old 09-06-2018, 04:21 AM

I also love my Karen Kay Buckley scissors,...much less expensive than my beloved Gingher 4” scissors!
    Old 09-06-2018, 04:23 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by thrums
    They are more readily available on line now. They look really nice. And yes, a bit pricey too. I think they were originally made in Spain. I haven't found any information on its current manufacturing location. Is there a manufacturer's location stamp on your scissors?
    Yes, Appliquick is in Spain (Barcelona). But I don't know if the scissors are actually manufactured in Spain. I chatted with her quite a bit at the AQS show (fun gal!) She explained to me how difficult it was to find a manufacturer willing to make things to her very demanding specifications. She said she was constantly arguing with engineers about her design specs, they were constantly trying to talk her into something that would be easier to manufacture so she could charge less and she would have none of it. Quality and functionality were her number one priorities. I suspect she is still with the same manufacturer but I don't recall if she mentioned where it was. I seem to have a vague recollection of Switzerland or Germany maybe?? I will check the packaging when I get home to see if it mentions where they are actually made.

And you are right they are much easier to find now. I found them on Amazon.
    Old 09-06-2018, 04:35 AM

I was just looking at precuts at Green Fairy Quilts and they have Karen Kay Buckley scissors on sale right now! I'm going to treat myself to another pair.
    Old 09-06-2018, 08:02 AM
    Power Poster

The Appliquick scissors are better then Ginghers, I put my Ginghers in the kitchen drawer. I use the Karen Kay Buckley and Havel's for all cutting not just for detail work. I have explained to both my DDs the quality of my Appliquick scissors and how they are not to be tossed in the $1 box at my demise. LOL
    Old 09-06-2018, 10:03 AM

Another vote for Kai. They're micro-serrated which means they grab the fabric as they cut, no slippage. I find the handles to be the most comfortable brand by far.
    Old 09-06-2018, 06:51 PM

Default Decisions....Decisions

Decisions....decisions....

*Appliquick

*Havel serrated fabric scissors

*Kai

*Karen Kay Buckley's Perfect Scissors

They all look like a good bet.

Thanks so much for your replies.

Last edited by thrums; 09-06-2018 at 06:58 PM.
    Old 09-06-2018, 09:25 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by thrums
    Thanks to Cari-in-Oly's suggestions I have searched numerous sites and found three scissor designs suggested for applique work: Straight, Bent and Curved. My experience is limited to straight scissors only.

I need to be educated on the functionality of the bent and curved scissors. What are the pros and cons of your preferred scissor's design.

Thanks again!!
    It's all a matter of preference. The Kai scissors I bought are straight with serrated edges. My squeezers are curved tip and straight tip, but I prefer the curved tip ones. Personally I don't care for the bent scissors.

Cari
    Old 09-07-2018, 04:26 AM

My vote is for Kai...I have the Havel's and love them, but the Kai can get into tiny places much better. I have the straight and curved Kai..I prefer the curved for most applique, as they are easier to maneuver around circles and curves. I use the straight for straight cuts. I started out with just the straight Kai, and they work just fine for circles and curves, but the curved are easier. If you have a lot of trimming to do at one time, another consideration is the handles. Havel's larger finger holes are way more comfortable, while the Kai have small holes, and I find when cutting a lot, my hands cramp up.