Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Recycling >
  • Recycling

• Recycling

Old 02-09-2009, 10:48 AM

Can I use an old quilt for batting? I have an old one of my MIL that is in VERY bad shape (piecing coming apart etc.). Or will it make my quilt lumpy? I want something a little heavier than just bamboo batting.

Or should I just double up on say a cotton and poly batting?

Thanks to all responses! :)
    Old 02-09-2009, 10:49 AM

I'm not sure I would use an old quilt for batting. Can you restore the old one???
    Old 02-09-2009, 10:50 AM

I don't think so sew, there are so many pieces that have pulled away and I can see the old batt right through. She wasn't too careful about her points (not to sound unkind) so I don't think I want to invest the time to restore.
    Old 02-09-2009, 10:52 AM

It's my understanding that bamboo shrinks, while the older stuff is stable.. For all the work involved, I'd hate to take a chance. I've used old quilts and new covers for knockaround quilts for camping, picnics and such, but not for bed use.
    Old 02-09-2009, 02:04 PM

Ok, thanks guys. Maybe I just won't risk it.
    Old 02-09-2009, 04:05 PM

Mrs Mel, I have to admit that one of my favorite quilts came from an auction years ago for $20, that was made out of wool squares-that's it!:)Inside is a pinkish wool blanket. Whoever tied it off-no quilting.It is one of my favorites and it is losing it's life too...and, I am going to make a quilt sleeve to go over it one of these days to keep what I have and hopefully protect it too. The poor thing is just wearing right thru:)Now, if it were a grandmother's quilt, etc...and, I was in the same boat, I'd prob make small throw pillows for all the great or just grandkids(out of what is good still). So, the quilt keeps going on thru the generation, one way or another. I love the old, imperfect quilts. I think they are very dear and the truth to the lack of knowledge or know how at the time or area. Just my 2cents:)Skeat......we never know generations from now, who would be interested in that old fabric anyhow:)LOL
    Old 02-09-2009, 04:13 PM

Hear! Hear! Skeat, that's my thought as well. Imperfections show the amount of time alloted to sewing, while milking the cows, feeding the chickens, pigs, and other critters; as well as, cooking three meals, doing the wash in tubs and wringer washer. Nothing can bring back those fabric choices, types, or colors.

Use it to make matted pictures of Grandma's work. I know there was never a day my Granny lived that she didn't work long before sunrise and well after sunset. I'd give anything to have a piece of her work, a dishtowel she used, or one of her aprons threadbare as they were.

Hugs,
    Sharon
    Old 02-10-2009, 04:04 AM

I bought an old falling apart quilt for $15 and proceeded to cut it up and made cushions and pillows for my porch. It looks great. The parts I used were in good shape and I take the covers off the cushions and wash them. A good way to recycle and still admire the work that's left. Plus it looks great.
    cheryl
    Old 02-10-2009, 05:41 AM
    Power Poster

If you want to save the old quilt, stitch a covering of tulle over it. You can display the quilt and not worry about the pieces falling out. If it is not a keeper than use it for batting for a utility quilt or filler for place mats, table topper, or potholders.
    Old 02-10-2009, 07:43 AM

Actually, that is a very good point skeat and mimi. Sometimes I forget her life was very different than mine. She was a hard working farmer's wife, helped in the barn, gardened and canned and raised 5 kids even when their barn burned down.

And Bellaboo, I like your idea re placements; they are next on my 'to do' list.

Thanks everyone; I SO appreciate all your thoughts.