Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Regarding Color/Pattern >
  • Regarding Color/Pattern

• Regarding Color/Pattern

Old 07-19-2010, 01:47 PM

Forgive me if there is somewhere else I should have posted this...

So I bought a jelly roll (I think that's what it's called) at Joann's the other day. Lots of pretty fabrics, all of which have pretty busy patterns.

My question is do I need a solid color to keep the quilt from being TOO busy? I believe I got 10 different patterns (not sure if I'm going to use them all or not).

Also I think I'm going to try the interlocked squares pattern from Quilter's Cache. This will be my first quilt (I'm such a newb!) - do you think that pattern will be too difficult to start with?

I appreciate any and all advice! I'm very new to quilting and many of the terms and things are foreign to me.
    Old 07-19-2010, 02:30 PM
    Power Poster

I like to use some solids if my fabric is very busy, but I have seen scrappy quilts with lots of busy fabric look great. It's kinda up to you. Any new pattern is challenging to me, but just read the instructions and follow them. If you have any questions ask them here and someone can help you. Have fun with your first quilt.
    Old 07-19-2010, 03:34 PM

Hi! I would suggest you do a search of jelly roll quilts here or Google or something (maybe just an Image search) and see what some others have done...so you know if you like the busy-ness or not. I have seen many different variations and I'm sure you will find a look you like!

I don't have an opinion about the pattern because I am brand new to quilting! I'm working on my first one.

Best of luck with your quilt!
    Old 07-19-2010, 04:12 PM

I just used this block to make a quilt!!

A TON of fun, but that last bit about the seams had me -- I ended up ripping a few stiches on every block to get it all to work out.

Also the blocks ended up way smaller than I thought (I didn't see the part that it only makes a 6" block -- would have taken FOREVER to make the whole quilt, so I made a couple of the same block in a 12" size to finish up the quilt fast.

I think using a solid color in the blocks (where the green is in the pattern) could help "calm" down the quilt as well as draw it all together as a cohesive unit.

Here's a pic of my quilt -- if you have any questions I can help with -- just ask.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-73978.jpe  
    Old 07-19-2010, 06:14 PM

Thanks for all the advice!

That is a gorgeous quilt, jetnica! It's almost the same colors as my fabrics are. :)
    Old 07-19-2010, 06:17 PM

Good luck and Welcome !!! :)
    Old 07-19-2010, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by jetnica
    I just used this block to make a quilt!!

A TON of fun, but that last bit about the seams had me -- I ended up ripping a few stiches on every block to get it all to work out.

Also the blocks ended up way smaller than I thought (I didn't see the part that it only makes a 6" block -- would have taken FOREVER to make the whole quilt, so I made a couple of the same block in a 12" size to finish up the quilt fast.

I think using a solid color in the blocks (where the green is in the pattern) could help "calm" down the quilt as well as draw it all together as a cohesive unit.

Here's a pic of my quilt -- if you have any questions I can help with -- just ask.
    Cute Quilt, creative !!! :)
    Old 07-19-2010, 08:25 PM
    Power Poster

Depending on you colors in the jelly roll, if there aren't light fabrics you could any neutral to tone down the busy prints. I prefer a tone on tone fabric or a blender to calm down brights and busy prints.
    Old 07-20-2010, 05:17 AM

I can't wait to see pics of your new creation!!! I'd add a neutral to tone some of the pattern/colors down, but it's your quilt do it the way you want.
    Old 07-20-2010, 05:24 AM

I like to include a solid (or at least a blender) to help calm busy patterns (especially on larger quilts). I would try laying them out and seeing which you prefer.