Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Regular, All-Purpose, or Hand Quilting Thread used in the sewing machine? >
  • Regular, All-Purpose, or Hand Quilting Thread used in the sewing machine?

• Regular, All-Purpose, or Hand Quilting Thread used in the sewing machine?

Old 07-11-2007, 02:32 PM

Well, nayone that knows me knows that I love applique. I use wonder under and/or fine fuse to stick things to the background fabric. Then I like to use madeira catona thread for the top stitching. It comes in lots of gorgeous colors. I am not a big fan of the shiny threads, haven't tried them for free motion, since I am curently working on my 1st of that. I have used variegated thread both the machine embroidery stuff and some other brand. Mettler and sulky both carry some beautiful colors. WM doesn't have a real big selection in the coats and clark brand so I pick mine up here and there. I like the soft look of these threads to do top stitching with, but go with the all purpose stuff for piecing and quilting. My first thing of the catona thread, I got from Nancy's notions in a catalog sale. Then I started replenishing that a little at a time from a lady in Alexandria Va that has an internet site. Then started picking up some good stuff at the Bernina store and JoANNs because it got to be a hassle to remember the color codes and I wanted to see if what I picked out would match the piece I was working on.
    Whew didn't mean to write a book, but I am gabby sometimes. :-) Sorry about that :-o

Old 07-11-2007, 02:37 PM
    Administrator

Originally Posted by vicki reno
    Whew didn't mean to write a book, but I am gabby sometimes. :-) Sorry about that :-o
    but we love you gabby. or not gabby. or at whatever level your gab-o-meter happens to be set. we wouldn't have you any way other than exactly as you are. :P
    Old 07-11-2007, 04:58 PM

Look for one of those cone thread holders like sergers use- I get huge cones and never have tangle problems if the thread is going up, then over to the machine. I bought mine years ago, and don't think it was much over $5-10, but what I've saved using bulk thread has paid the cost back a hundredfold.
    Old 07-11-2007, 07:19 PM

talking about holders, For my emb machine I got a small wood box (choclate came in it at xmass) or square basket I places a dowel rod in the center and made a slice in the top of the rod and inserted a 12" wooden ruler. I made 6 slices in the ruler for the thread then run thread through machine in the normal way. Great for cones or you can spend $45 for one