Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Rehabbing an old (possibly antique) quilt >
  • Rehabbing an old (possibly antique) quilt

• Rehabbing an old (possibly antique) quilt

Old 01-27-2019, 06:03 AM

I've heard you can buy old unused fabric online. When I was at Pigeon Forge Mountainfest, an expert said that if you quilted a restoration project in the style of the day, you would not diminish its value
    Old 01-27-2019, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by CookyIN
    Perhaps secure the deteriorating spots with netting so as not to disturb or replace the original fabrics? You might find this article helpful; think they covered the entire quilt with netting.

http://www.museumtextiles.com/blog/t...er-crazy-quilt
    A very nice article, but sharing the quilt with us would have been nice too.
    Old 01-28-2019, 05:57 AM

I don’t understand your post about “sharing the quilt with us.” She is not the original poster. ???
    Old 01-28-2019, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Mdegenhart
    I don’t understand your post about “sharing the quilt with us.” She is not the original poster. ???
    I read the text in the linked article, but was disappointed that there was no photo of the quilt. I just love looking at other people’swork.
    Old 02-02-2019, 11:02 PM

Sorry I forgot to check back. If I rehab the quilt, it will be purely for the family/ emotional/sentimental value, not to retain any financial value.

I think GGran would toss about in her grave if she found out I plan on displaying it rather than using it, but I'd never forgive myself if it got damaged beyond the inevitable ravages of time.

I don't think I could quite handle the prospect of taking it apart and not putting it back together, though.
    Old 02-03-2019, 05:05 AM

One of the questions I have is whether or not anyone else cares besides you. We have two quilts that were used for many years by family members that were made by my husband's grandmother and aunts (assorted others) in the 1930's. They were daily use quilts and are not rather tattered. No one cares besides me (because I love quilts and quilting) Because no one cares besides me, I will not restore them. We also have a double wedding quilt that was 'for good'. This grandmother made one for every grandchild's wedding-sixteen of them. She made ours when my husband was 5 years old. It is 76 years old. It is a treasure and I plan for it to go to a museum because no one else seems to be interested in this treasure. So there are lots of things to consider in regard to your project.
    Old 02-03-2019, 12:46 PM

My sister had a quilt from her husband's side of the family that she asked me to "put back together" purely so baby pictures of each succeeding generation could be taken on it.
    On the torn areas where the fabric was still hanging on, I used Steam a Seam and fused it back together. I did that a lot and it actually didn't turn out too bad. On the areas where there was no old fabric, I found fabric that woul"go" and did the same thing. Stitched here and there where I could.
    Real antique quilt people would likely be horrified, but it serves the purpose now. Here is an example of one block before and after.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]607875[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]607876[/ATTACH]

If that would be helpful, private message me and I can walk you through it.

Watson
    Attached Thumbnails img_0757.jpg   img_0758.jpg  
    Old 02-03-2019, 09:14 PM

I'm not really sure what "rehabbing" is in relation to a quilt. I'm also not sure what your level of quilting skill is. If you are looking to do some type of repair and restoration, I'd do what Watson has done.
    Old 02-06-2019, 09:32 PM

My grandma passed it on to me and asked me to fix it up, so I'm pretty attached to the idea of fixing it. I'd love to be able to pass it along to my son later.