Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Reminder about sewing over pins >
  • Reminder about sewing over pins

• Reminder about sewing over pins

Old 09-22-2015, 04:58 PM

Default Reminder about sewing over pins

I thought I never sewed over pins...hum...but I had to have at least once. I had my yearly tune up on my Bernina 153 in April.

I had only been sewing straight stitch, then I wanted to do a zig zag and stitches were not showing up on the right side of the stitch.

We took my machine in this morning and timing was off - I was told I had to have sewn over a pin and nicked the needle thus throwing off the timing...good news all fixed and only a $25.00 service charge..great LQS (Sun Valley Quilts - Sun City, AZ) glad I purchased my machine there years ago now. I am back in business

Yes, I purchased fabric, a charm pack, marking pen and template plastic.. That is the way it goes

Judy in Phx, AZ
    Old 09-22-2015, 05:26 PM
    Power Poster

Well you probably hit something but not necessarily a pin. If you have been doing a lot of FMQing you can clip the needle plate if the needle is pulled slightly off from quilt drag. Glad you are all fixed up.
    Old 09-22-2015, 05:31 PM

I feel your pain. I accidentally sewed over a safety pin that was sandwiched inside the center of my tablerunner. It too me half an hour to remove the pin w/needle nose pliers to wiggle it out.
    My Babylock Symphony is only 6 months old so I was afraid I broke it. I ended up removing the throat plate (after a little oil ) then totally cleaned out all the fuzz balls inside. New needle , replace the walking foot and test stitch. Luckily both machine and tablerunner saved. You can be sure I will be checking work more carefully before I quilt again.
    Old 09-22-2015, 05:56 PM

Guess I have been really lucky in my sewing life. I sew over pins all the time and other than the odd broken needle, have never had any other issues. Glad your situation worked out so well.
    Old 09-22-2015, 06:09 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter
    Guess I have been really lucky in my sewing life. I sew over pins all the time and other than the odd broken needle, have never had any other issues. Glad your situation worked out so well.
    Same here. I've always sewn over pins with no more issues than a bent pin or a broken needle.

Cari
    Old 09-22-2015, 06:34 PM
    Power Poster

I don't (as a rule) sew over pins. Bernina's don't like them and I accommodate my machine. It is far too much money to service a bernina once a year much less have an extra cost for timing troubles. Bless your heart, this was an expensive learning experience. They are increasing the cost of the servicing around here by a lot. Where it used to be a hundred dollars it is now a hundred and a quarter. Is it that way there too?
    Old 09-22-2015, 06:34 PM

Terrific service fees! Glad you didn't do more damage.
    Old 09-22-2015, 07:00 PM

I think the mechanical machines are less prone to damage when sewing over a pin. It's those new-fangled computerized machines that can't take it.

But what would I do without mine?

I have both, by the way, and use both. Leaning more and more to the mechanicals for piecing. If only they had automatic thread cutters!!!
    Old 09-22-2015, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222
    I don't (as a rule) sew over pins. Bernina's don't like them and I accommodate my machine. It is far too much money to service a bernina once a year much less have an extra cost for timing troubles. Bless your heart, this was an expensive learning experience. They are increasing the cost of the servicing around here by a lot. Where it used to be a hundred dollars it is now a hundred and a quarter. Is it that way there too?
    Garnet, we are still lucky here, in April my annual check up was $98.50 plus $ 2.99 for a fuse replacement. I think this is why I continue to support this LQS and the staff is very helpful and friendly.

Judy
    Old 09-23-2015, 04:43 AM
    Power Poster

I try my best to stop before sewing over a pin but unfortunately, I am not perfect. I do have a few bent pins. I own an older Bernina 1530 and never have had any problem.