Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Reorganization follows super sale.!!!!RIGHT???? >
  • Reorganization follows super sale.!!!!RIGHT????

• Reorganization follows super sale.!!!!RIGHT????

Old 10-16-2013, 06:25 AM

Actually if you offer it locally first you would save on mailing costs.
    Old 10-16-2013, 06:48 AM
    Power Poster

If you are selling I would sell locally to avoid shipping costs unless buyer pays. If you are offering for free it would be nice to offer to QB members willing to pay shipping or to a local quilt group that does charity quilts. Bottom line is whatever works for you the easiest, is the best.
    Old 10-16-2013, 07:23 AM

I would say here on the QB first. The reason being a lot of newbies come here and it would be a way for them to get a chance to get a good start on materials without spending a ton of money. I'm not a member of a guild, but I would think that most of them have been quilting/sewing for a while and would therefore have more supplies accumulated. But that's just my opinion.
    Old 10-16-2013, 07:37 AM

I agree on selling it to QB members first. Most of the ads I see have buyers paying the shipping and while it's a job to package and label, I think we'd be more likely to pay what you are asking. When I buy at a yardsale or CL, I want a SUPER bargain... usually $1 for a 2yd piece. And, I find them..... so good luck with whatever you decide.
    Old 10-16-2013, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Nantie
    I am currently being smothered by the amount of "stuff" I have accumulated since I began quilting 15 yrs. ago. My constant attempts to gain/& maintain control over my sewing space have all failed. Why you ask?? I simply have TOOOOOO MUCH STUFF !! This includes numerous patterns I bought and will never make, books I have enjoyed but again will never make any of those patterns, fabric, thread, kits, the list goes on. How would you approach a major downsizing project once you have inventoried all that you want to sell/donate would you consider offering only to QB members exclusively for a period of time, then move on if necessary to CL,local ads. etc. Any advice , suggestions, opinions, experience you can offer would be appreciated.
    I'm sorry but whenever someone asks this question I am puzzled.Group members or quilting friends would surely welcome a swap or gift, then there are schools and charity craft groups. When I moved home and my long time quilt group I shared all the things I couldn't take with me in this way, They often tell me that the fabric they use in blocks will always remind them of me, and when we meet up and share what we have since made we laugh at when we recognise patterns we have swapped.Otherwise if you cannot afford to give away then ebay is a good source to pass on what you no longer need. |Letty x
    Old 10-16-2013, 09:29 AM

We have a lovely store in our area "Love It Again" that pays for new/used quilting and craft items. The owner also owns a regular quilt store across the courtyard. However with that said, she pays depending on the quality of the fabric, etc. She sells batics for about $5 yard. I don't know if you have anything in your area similar.
    Old 10-16-2013, 10:06 AM

I would definitely go local. By doing so, you'll not only save on postage costs, but you'll be able to ask, and receive, much more realistic prices than on QB. Start with your friends, your guild, a yard sale, your local Craigslist, and then move up to eBay or else Freecycle/donate what hasn't sold. The pricing constraints and selling rules on QB are so very strict that I'd do that only as a last resort.
    Old 10-16-2013, 10:42 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter
    Maybe I'm in the minority here. I'd offer to QB members first then go local. There are many folks here selling stuff so why not jump on that band wagon. Personally, I'm looking for boy/kid fabrics that don't seem to be the rage now. 'One man's trash is another man's treasure' truly applies here. I think you'd get better $$ results here where folks appreciate quality fabric vs a yard sale/CL venture.
    I agree.. So many on here would be willing to pay shipping and handling as well.
    Old 10-16-2013, 11:23 AM

The last time I was at my quilt class, the instructor told of having a "For Quilters Only" garage sale it was supposed to last Friday and Saturday. She had to rent tables by noon the first day her DH was able to return the tables to the rental place and she was sold out by closing time the first day.
    Old 10-16-2013, 12:13 PM
    Power Poster

I went through this myself and what I personally was to separate out into individual boxes that were marked donate, sell and share. The really nice discarded fabrics the I didn't want to use, I saved for my charity sewing. It is all a matter of beginning the process.