Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Reorganization follows super sale.!!!!RIGHT???? >
  • Reorganization follows super sale.!!!!RIGHT????

• Reorganization follows super sale.!!!!RIGHT????

Old 10-16-2013, 12:58 PM

Do think about offering to the QB first and as a buyer I would expect to pay shipping! I am currently going through my stash to put on the board soon.
    Old 10-16-2013, 01:12 PM

You might want to sell patterns and fabric you have chosen together as a home-made 'quilt kit'. Just a thought...
    Old 10-16-2013, 02:12 PM

In this area, there are days advertised as the day for garage sales. Everyone who wants to has a garage sale at the same time. There are advertising flyers around for a few weeks before, and the papers have a story about it. Each sale lists their address and anything special that they have for sale, as: estate sale, moving sale, lots of baby things, quilting things, tools, etc.
    The whole town goes mad! And they come from other towns also.
    I would say that if you had a garage or yard sale and advertised quilting supplies for sale, you would get a lot of customers. At $1.00 a yard, it would go like hot cakes. Baggies full of smaller cuts and pieces go too. Saves packing up and paying postage.

Good luck.
    Old 10-16-2013, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by sewingsuz
    I agree with all that NJquilter said. We will buy some, I look on the for sale part her everyday and there has not been very much. Come on and show us what you got.
    I would do the local guilds and friends then QB. No shipping and no hassles. I was going to sale some fabric n that was asked for on QB but I was questioned so much I just said no. I don't want bad feelings and would prefer not to sell than to have bad feelings.
    Old 10-16-2013, 03:22 PM

I think the majority on QB suffers from the same TOO MUCH STUFF syndrome. I would make quilt piles, and donate to your guilds (or find one and make a donation) charity quilt fabric. Approaching the "whole thing" at once is daunting for me. Start by separating the patterns that you will never use, and then the books, and put them on QB. Then tackle bin by bin, bag by bag, put into a donate pile, a sale pile, and a maybe pile. Then sell, donate and put the maybe pile back into the bin, bag. Then start with the next bin, bag, pile. What didn't sell, put in the donate pile. Then donate. Bit by bit it will get cleared up.
    Old 10-16-2013, 03:26 PM
    Power Poster

I wouldn't want to spend to much time or be to involved in the downsizing. I would want it to be as simple and easy as possible.

First I would sort into two rooms what I want to absolutely keep, no questions. Everything else would go directly to either a local quilting guild or the salvation army. The more you handle and sort the more you talk yourself into the "someday dream". It is a nice idea to pass things on to people who would want it but I have learned that this just draws the downsizing on forever. It really doesn't matter who gets it as long as it will be made useful to someone.

The only thing I have in my sewing room in abundance is fabric, now. I got rid of patterns, books, magazines, etc. I only have three rulers, two seam rippers, two machines (one is my treadle), Two chacoliners and a few small scissors.
    I am now quite the minimalist, and love it.
    peace
    Old 10-17-2013, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by Nantie
    I am currently being smothered by the amount of "stuff" I have accumulated since I began quilting 15 yrs. ago. My constant attempts to gain/& maintain control over my sewing space have all failed. Why you ask?? I simply have TOOOOOO MUCH STUFF !! This includes numerous patterns I bought and will never make, books I have enjoyed but again will never make any of those patterns, fabric, thread, kits, the list goes on. How would you approach a major downsizing project once you have inventoried all that you want to sell/donate would you consider offering only to QB members exclusively for a period of time, then move on if necessary to CL,local ads. etc. Any advice , suggestions, opinions, experience you can offer would be appreciated.
    Nantie would you have any power ranger fabric that you would like to sell? I can't offer any suggestions that have already been noted. I feel your pain. I sold mine in our garage sale. Do you know anybody who like to have. A garage sale. You could combine forces.
    Old 10-17-2013, 05:50 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

A few years ago I mentioned on this board that I had too many quilt kits and if anyone really needed any, to get ahold of me. One gal wrote me a pm and said she was about to retire and was worried where her money for quilting was going to come from. I got her address and sent her 14 kits. She paid the shipping fees. She wrote back that she laid all 14 kits on her couch and just stared at them. Her husband was overjoyed for her. She thanked me over and over again. It made me feel good. I got to get my sewing room in control and someone had some projects to do. It was better than selling them. A few months ago I did the same thing and gave away some more kits. Now, I'm not buying anything but border material or binding and backing material. My room is under control. But it felt good to give it away to someone who really appreciated it than the few bucks I would have made and probably spent on fabric anyway.
    Old 10-17-2013, 07:59 PM

you are so right, I am embarrassed with myself, I have 2 bags in the car now of fabric. When my girlfriend called today, she asked what are you doing? I said you don't want to know. She declared - you aren't buying more fabric are you!!! I need an intervention, soon...

Originally Posted by hopetoquilt
    Put yourself on a shopping moratorium. Create a part of your room where you can personally shop. You will eventually work your way through the stuff and be amazed with what you fall in love with again. Take it one project at a time. The problem may not be the quantity you have but the continuous shopping. (Not an uncommon problem).
    Old 10-18-2013, 08:28 AM

where do you go on The Quilting Board to buy stuff? I SHOULD NOT be asking this quesiton.....