Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Repairing old quilts >
  • Repairing old quilts

• Repairing old quilts

Old 09-04-2014, 03:59 AM

Default Repairing old quilts

Does anyone have any advice on repairing old quilts? I have a couple of quilts probably made in the 50s that have holes in them. I would guess I could just applique patches over the holes, but should I find older fabric to do so? I've never worked wtih aged fabric before, any helpful hints?
    Old 09-04-2014, 04:19 AM

I have repaired several "old" quilts. I find fabric that looks like it belongs in the quilt. Then, I cut a piece the size of the "holey" fabric plus 1/4" for the seam and then I do one of two things. Either I iron, the quarter inch under and gently sew the new piece (by hand) into the area right on top of the old one OR I gently remove the damaged piece and sew the new piece (by hand) into the spot. Both have worked well and no one can tell the difference. I wash the fabric I am going to use and starch it and iron it. Hope this gives you some ideas.
    Old 09-04-2014, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingHaven
    I have repaired several "old" quilts. I find fabric that looks like it belongs in the quilt. Then, I cut a piece the size of the "holey" fabric plus 1/4" for the seam and then I do one of two things. Either I iron, the quarter inch under and gently sew the new piece (by hand) into the area right on top of the old one OR I gently remove the damaged piece and sew the new piece (by hand) into the spot. Both have worked well and no one can tell the difference. I wash the fabric I am going to use and starch it and iron it. Hope this gives you some ideas.
    This is the way I do it too.....but if you have several patches that are necessary and you would like the look of the appliqué that is perfectly fine too. I would use fusible webbing to iron it on then hand stitch around it to make it part of the quilt not just a patch.
    Old 09-04-2014, 06:09 AM
    Power Poster

There is an excellent book written on this subject called Quilt Restoration A Practical Guide by Camille Dalphond Cognac. I was very fortunate to met the author at Quilt Market in 1994. She covers various reasons of when to save and other suggestion of when not to save.