Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • reply re 10 min block problem >
  • reply re 10 min block problem

• reply re 10 min block problem

Old 07-29-2011, 08:54 PM

Sorry -was called away. Re the "Starburst Pattern " some saw on a video. Presume you know about 10 min block using 5 sqs and 3 seams to sew a block.
    For this one- extra fabric is needed. Don't want to get in copyright concerns but can describe to all of you who sent pm's.
    For each block you are making you will need 4 more pieces as star points --4.5 in x 6.5 in. To make triangles--
    Fold 1/4 " hem on one long side-press to do finished hem
    Fold piece in 1/2 to mark center. Fold corner to meet the center line but it will not meet at bottom(because it's a rectangle)
    Fold the other corner to meet center.
    It will resemble a Praire Point --becomes the Star Points.

To position these stars--lay on sq of fabric in one corner as this---measuring 4.5 " from the 2 edges. That is pointing towards the center of the sq.
    Position the corner and short sides across the corner --looks like a hst sitting there. Put the folded side down against the right side of fabric. Sew down as in video.
    You should have this on four sqs. Now treat these original larger pieces as the 4 of the 10 min block.
    Sew in the 5th piece and when you open it out your little praire points look like a sq but the center 5 th piece looks like a diamond.( Just treat the sq with the pr point on it as one piece.)

OK so I have no program to draw diagrams or send other info but if you watched the youtube video this at least should help fill in what you didn't understand.
    I bought the book but life has interferred and I have yet to sew any from it although have done blocks.
    I think this is easy method as you can sew any square sizes therefore a fast top if needed. A modern look also if
    wanted. Good luck! pm if necessary
    Old 07-29-2011, 08:59 PM

Thanks for sharing.
    Old 07-29-2011, 09:19 PM

Hallo, milady

Many thanks!! I decided she had to use her triangles in there somewhere. I'll play with it and I so appreciate your posting the info. BTW, I did play with her block made of 5 HST pieces. Works out pretty well, IMO. Takes more than 10 minutes, though!!! :lol:

Thanks again and enjoy your family (and the book),
    Mary