Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Request to make quilt from garments >
  • Request to make quilt from garments

• Request to make quilt from garments

Old 12-18-2012, 02:12 AM

Default Request to make quilt from garments

I have received a request to make a quilt from garments. Has anyone made a quilt for someone like this? What pattern did you use? If there was a charge, how much did you charge, and how did you figure the charge? I haven't done this before, and need some suggestions.

Judy
    Old 12-18-2012, 02:41 AM
    Power Poster

do a search for 'memory quilts' you will find many examples---de-constructed clothing is used often in quilting.
    as for your charge---you need to decide if you will be adding additional fabrics-or just using the clothing- remember batting,backing & thread-along with any patterns you may use...then you have to decide what your time is worth---all this needs to be discussed with the person you are making the quilt for and a (fair) amount agreed upon before you start....then a 50% deposit should be collected- with the remaining balance paid upon completion of quilt.
    Old 12-18-2012, 03:34 AM

Yes, I believe the name is "cutter quilt". I have made many a quilt from clothing no longer wearable. I've never charged for these because they usually came from a family member request. They don't last as long as 'newer' material will, they do fray in spots. Recently repaired one my daughter has had for 15 years..she just cannot part with it. It's one of the first quilts she received from her 'outgrown' clothing. The designs I've used with older fabric quilts, just depends on the mood at that time.
    Old 12-18-2012, 06:05 AM

I just finished making 7 of these out of shirts. They finished at 50x60...I cut 6 inch blocks(so that I could use a 6 " sq ruler)
    and simply sewed them together in a diagonal pattern. I used the layer and turn method, pressed the edges, and did a topstitch 1/2" from the edge, then quilted them on my Gammill, no bonding! I used a pocket from 7 of the shirts to make the labels.
    Old 12-18-2012, 06:17 AM
    Banned

and don't forget the time it will take to "de-construct" the clothing to make it usable. Some report this takes a long time. Also, remember that you will get a mixture of fabrics such as all cotton, mixed fibres and some you might not consider suitable in a quilt but all part of the memory.
    Old 12-18-2012, 08:54 AM
    Power Poster

I would want to see the garments and discuss the project in more detail before setting a price. Some memory quilts are simple patterns made from swatches taken from old clothing; others incorporate the entire clothing article (such as a child's baby sweater, hat, etc.) in the quilt. You need to know what's expected, what kind of shape the clothing is in, whether you will need to clean it first, how large the pieces will be, etc.
    Old 12-18-2012, 09:55 AM
    Power Poster

I like the look of quilts made from recycled clothing, but they do take a LOT longer than just buying yardage, so make sure that you take that into consideration when figuring the pricing. Also, i would agree on a price, get 50% down and put something in writing.
    Old 12-18-2012, 12:04 PM

I just added a picture from my iPad. Hope it works. I love the shadow box because it is easy and showcases your fabric well!
    Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
    Old 12-18-2012, 12:48 PM

Here is a post of a memory quilt i made from some of my dad's shirts - and a lot of white cotton fabric.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t194089.html
    The pattern and the quilting design held specific significance and were the perfect combination in my case.