Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Rice/? bag help and ideas >
  • Rice/? bag help and ideas

• Rice/? bag help and ideas

Old 09-12-2011, 03:25 PM

I used to make these all the time with "wheat berries" in 100% cotton pleted sacks, so the berries don't shift. I filled each pleat with the berris useing a funnel. They have a shell to them wich makes them durable over many reheatings. I also add whole cloves as aromatherapy. I also made pillow cases for them. 2 minets is nice and warm. If you put it in a gallon freezer bag in the freezer it makes a nice cold pack. (beats defrosting your peas)
    Old 09-12-2011, 04:27 PM

I used to make these all the time with "wheat berries" in 100% cotton pleted sacks, so the berries don't shift. I filled each pleat with the berris useing a funnel. They have a shell to them wich makes them durable over many reheatings. I also add whole cloves as aromatherapy. I also made pillow cases for them. 2 minets in the mic. is nice and warm I heat it for 2 1/2 but I like it hot that might be too hot for her.
    Old 09-12-2011, 04:58 PM

I use rice, did have a problem with mice until I added lavender. Just to play it safe I keep them in the freezer because they are great to use cold also and still easy enough to pop in the microwave when needed.
    Old 09-12-2011, 05:06 PM

Everyone in my house uses the rice bag!!! Matter of fact we all have several believe me I make alot of them!!!!! I give as gifts I buy kitchen towels they work great. You only heat a couple of min.no here has ever gotten burnt!I even make smaller ones for sinuses out of wash cloths.
    Old 09-12-2011, 05:16 PM

A few years ago, I made rice bags for family members for Xmas. Most complained that they did not like the odor of the rice. About a year ago, I purchased a bag at a shop in Gatlinburg...it is filled with cherry pits. You can either heat it or freeze it. It smells so much better than the rice ever did! I googled and there are several places where one can order cherry pits.
    Old 09-12-2011, 05:34 PM

Usually when iy smells is because it was heated to long you can also freeze!!!
    Old 09-12-2011, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by TanyaL
    Whatever you use, if you add some dried lavender or other sweet smelling herbs she will have an added bonus when she heats it. I have one that is rather long and is sewn in sections. I mostly use it around my neck. However the idea of the sections is great because it keeps the filling from all going into one big lump. By the way, your fabric is really attractive.
    I have also used rice and lavender, and once did rice and vanilla. I find that the sections are a great idea, as it doesn't seem to stress the seams so much. I do, however, triple stitch the seams, my Janome has a stitch selection just for this.
    Old 09-12-2011, 07:07 PM

I've used rice on all the rice bags I've made and I've never had a rodent problem. It hold the heat very nicely.
    Old 09-12-2011, 07:08 PM

I have some very old ones I made with rice, and have never had a problem with bugs or mice. And I live in Florida, so that is saying something. I always travel with at least one or two, because if you need, you can pop them in the microwaves at the convenience store (I would put a napkin down first, lol).

I recently went to a family reunion, where we all took something to auction off to raise money to defray the costs of the park, food, etc. I took along four of the rice and lavender pillows...and ended up buying one back, lol...because I forgot to bring one of my own along.

I use plain old white rice, and it gives off a moist heat every time I heat it. I am surprised that not everyone finds this to be true of theirs.

I would ask before making them with lavender for friend,...my cousin is allergic.
    Old 09-12-2011, 07:11 PM

We use dried cow corn here. I keep it in a ziplock bag in the freezer when I'm not using it. It doubles as an ice pack. Never had any trouble with critters or bugs.