Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Rice bags >
  • Rice bags

• Rice bags

Old 11-17-2010, 09:35 AM

I use thistle seed in mine. I make a sleeve of flannel and fill it half full, and sew the end up. Then I make a case to put on it so I can wash it as often as needed. I put mine in the microwave for 2 minutes, turn over and do it for another 2 minutes. I have RA and have used it for years. I mostly use it on my neck and hands. Never thought about making one from a glove pattern. I just might do this next! The commercial ones are filled with flax seed. I have one of those as well and use their heating instructions. Jan
    Old 11-17-2010, 09:42 AM

We made some from popcorn. Heated them by laying them on a wood stove, but could go in the microwave Made the whole house smell like popcorn. Just a simple bag the size you like with heavier cotton, fill 3/4 full of any grain, sew up the opening. Cozy warm. You can also, for a breadbasket just heat a tile that fits in the bottom of the bread basket.
    Old 11-17-2010, 10:00 AM

I make rice bags ever year for my family. I buy mens tube socks cut off the top and fill the sock with rice. I have even keep the top of the sock that i just cut off and make little rice bags out of them. They are only about 4 " long but work great if you have a ninus headache and to not want a big rice setting on your face. Than i make pillow case's out of feft over flannel and slip on the bags, than you can wash the covers any time you need them.. I make the covers out of pink or pretty covers for my girls and for the boys i use red or blue dark plaid. It works great. To fill the bags i use one of my tupperware containers and put the pot on the sock around the top of the container " it is about 12 " high. I think it is for juice, put a large rbber band around the sock and fill with rice.
    Old 11-17-2010, 10:55 AM

I usually use bird seed. It's cheap and works just like the other things.
    Originally Posted by NikkiLu
    Mine has corn in it - the kind that is dried - looks like you would get it at a wild bird feed store - or a farm supply store. Smells really good when heated up.
    Old 11-17-2010, 11:21 AM

I made one for a neighbor's gift from Santa.She's borrowed mine so much....& used little black beans.

Originally Posted by noahscats7
    I usually use bird seed. It's cheap and works just like the other things.
    Originally Posted by NikkiLu
    Mine has corn in it - the kind that is dried - looks like you would get it at a wild bird feed store - or a farm supply store. Smells really good when heated up.
    Old 11-17-2010, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by mamadi1
    Hi I make mine with feeding corn & use fleece you get a moist heat you can make them any size
    I've always used just cotton or cotton flannel. I'll have to try fleece - that moist heat is the best! Thanks for the idea.
    Old 11-17-2010, 11:44 AM

We must have the same thoughts since I make a cotton "pillow case" for mine. There is no way to wash these bags but the cases can be. I figured that one out the first time I had my DH try one out and he got it dirty. I thought "That's not going to work!" People buying my bags thought that was a great idea.
    Old 11-17-2010, 11:46 AM

I have used cherry pits in mine and it can be tossed in the washing machine.
    Old 11-17-2010, 12:09 PM

I posted the directions on my blog recently with a poem I use when giving them for gifts :)

http://laurapearce22.blogspot.com/20...tructions.html
    Old 11-17-2010, 12:18 PM

just remember COTTON ONLY as some others will melt and or break down faster and NO METALLIC of any kind i have several and i love them chamomile and lavender with a bit of cinnamon smell wonderful!