Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Ricky Tims Seminar >
  • Ricky Tims Seminar

• Ricky Tims Seminar

Old 07-22-2015, 02:28 PM

Lol, it must be video? Anyway, I have his book and I think 3 of his videos and they are fabulous indeed. You do learn a lot from these. The only way I could see him teaching 600 people would be lecture and video.....has anyone attended one of these 600 capacity seminars? I would be interested to know....
    Old 07-22-2015, 02:33 PM

Ok, it is video, He has guest teachers as well and it's instruction and video where you can see details on a very large screen.

https://www.rickytims.com/j25/2-unca...t-registration
    Old 07-22-2015, 06:13 PM

I think there were something like 340 at the one I attended. It's all lecture, with large screens and tight camera work when he demonstrates things using the machine. I was in the 3rd row from the back and could see the details on the screen very clearly. You get a spiral bound seminar booklet with very detailed information, pictures, and diagrams. Yep, starts at 4 pm on the first day and I think ended at 7:30. They do 2 sessions the first evening, then 4 each of the next 2 days. All the sessions are 1.5 hours, so at the early bird price of $189 that's $12.60 per class hour. He also does an evening concert one night. There is plenty of break time between sessions. There are quilts on display to see how to apply what is taught. I thought is was very well done and totally worth the money!

Last edited by Leslie333; 07-22-2015 at 06:16 PM.
    Old 07-23-2015, 03:43 AM

Oh, didn't realize it was a three day seminar plus a musical concert......so broken down as you did not a bad deal.....were you able to sleep in your own bed or have to hotel it? What sort of techniques does he demo?
    Old 07-23-2015, 03:54 AM

I was able to attend his seminar in April @ University of Delware, yes it was awesome. The only thing I wished was that there were vendors so that you would not be limited to just purchasing RT items. I recommend the seminar treat yourself to a mini 3-day trip.
    Old 07-23-2015, 04:00 AM

I attended Ricky's seminar at the Colorado School of Mines in Golden, CO August of 2004 with a dear friend. It was a two-day seminar, and his lectures were excellent and very organized. We were given notebook binders with the beautifully illustrated chapters corresponding to the lectures. He was very generous in displaying his quilts. If you have an opportunity to attend one of his seminars, go for it. His lectures probably are revised by now.
    Old 07-23-2015, 04:28 AM

I was right there in Morgantown with you along with seven of my guild members. It was about a four-hour drive, and I'd go again if I had the opportunity. I always feel like if I learn one new tip that I'll use, it is worth the cost. I learned many new things at this seminar. The hotel was the best I have ever stayed in for service. It was alot of fun... especially being able to chat one-on-one with Alex Anderson, Ricky Tims, and Justin Schults. I was star struck!

I came home Saturday and by Sunday afternoon, I had done my first "convergence" quilt top.
    Attached Thumbnails convergence2.jpg  
    Old 07-23-2015, 04:35 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by ahawk65
    Capacity six hundred? At $200 a pop? How does he teach so effectively to so many?
    Large capacity, but less than a hundred are currently signed up at each venue.
    Old 07-23-2015, 06:24 AM

Love the convergent pattern! Cool!
    Old 07-23-2015, 10:48 AM

He is a real ball of fire and I attended his lecture at AQS. If I could afford one of his seminars, I would go.