Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • right side, wrong side >
  • right side, wrong side

• right side, wrong side

Old 12-17-2010, 05:56 PM

You paid just as much for 1 side as you did for the other didn't you? I did a shadow box quilt that way deliberately.The back was a pale version of the front. If the back of your batik looks the same ,it shouldn't matter unless one side has a shine to it.
    Old 12-18-2010, 05:40 PM

I'm sorry to disagree with some of you but there IS a front and back side to batik. Either side will work, so there is no RIGHT or WRONG side.
    I am very particular and I examine every piece of batik I cut prior to sewing. I can tell the front from the back by the thickness of the stamp. Wax creates the design and if you think about it, wax would be thicker on the side it's stamped on (the front side) and not quite as thick on the side it has to seep through (the back side). I hope this makes sense to everyone. I've watched batik being made while living in Bali and this is what I have deduced from my experience. Like I said, no "right" or "wrong" side but there is a "front" and "back".
    Old 12-18-2010, 05:43 PM

Thankyou Amma, I thought I was wrong to even think about using the wrong side of fabric. I have when it fits in better.
    Old 12-18-2010, 06:20 PM

Use what ever side you wish... you're paying for both sides!!!!!! Sometimes with printed (not batik) fabrics, the duller reverse side works better than the brighter one. It's personal just like our quilts.
    Old 12-18-2010, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by just_the_scraps_m'am
    i'm losing it! some of the fabrics--especially the batiks & hand dyes---are identical on front & back---
    how do you recognize their fronts & backs when sewing with other pieces ...?
    how have you dealt with this?
    {i'm waiting for somebody to say it doesn't really matter!}
    We pay for both sides, so I figure it's ok to use both sides... :)
    Old 12-18-2010, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by bob1414
    I'm sorry to disagree with some of you but there IS a front and back side to batik. Either side will work, so there is no RIGHT or WRONG side.
    I am very particular and I examine every piece of batik I cut prior to sewing. I can tell the front from the back by the thickness of the stamp. Wax creates the design and if you think about it, wax would be thicker on the side it's stamped on (the front side) and not quite as thick on the side it has to seep through (the back side). I hope this makes sense to everyone. I've watched batik being made while living in Bali and this is what I have deduced from my experience. Like I said, no "right" or "wrong" side but there is a "front" and "back".
    Thank you bob1414 for that wonderful explanation. It makes perfect sense.

:thumbup:
    Old 12-19-2010, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by glenda5253
    Originally Posted by bob1414
    Thank you bob1414 for that wonderful explanation. It makes perfect sense.

:thumbup:
    It makes sense to me too! You're welcome :-)