Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Rookie Mistake >
  • Rookie Mistake

• Rookie Mistake

Old 06-19-2011, 12:17 PM

I think we do things like this because we really want to just give it the quick fix (or what we're sure it is) and get right back to where we were - because this only happens when we're on the proverbial "roll"
    Old 06-19-2011, 12:44 PM

Yup, done it.
    Old 06-19-2011, 01:18 PM

I never thought of rethreading the whole machine but it makes sense. I will try to learn from your mistake if my brain holds onto it for more than 30 seconds! LOL
    Old 06-19-2011, 04:48 PM

I took my machine to the LQS where I purchased it because it wasn't working right.
    Now the repairman there isn't known for having an easy-going personality. He's very rigid, business like, and has cost the store some customers because of his sternness.
    I didn't know any of this beforehand, so when he told me I didn't have the machine threaded correctly and when I challenged his opinion, well it wasn't pretty what happened between us. I got indignant, questioned how my making such a simple mistake could cause problems with the machine.
    The more unbelieving I became, the angrier he got. I went silent, packed up my stuff, the assistant manager came out, I was flustered and had to leave the store as I was saying "Never mind!" and left the repairman flapping his arms in frustration, I swear.
    We've become friends since then.
    The moral of the story is: make sure the upper thread is threaded correctly. Saves a lot of angst :oops:
    Old 06-19-2011, 06:19 PM

been there, done that, but I DIDN'T get a t-shirt!!!
    Old 06-19-2011, 08:01 PM

Thank you. You have most probably saved some of us from a great deal of frustration.
    Robin in TX
    Old 06-19-2011, 10:01 PM

WOW - - that's just weird! I had that SAME PROBLEM yesterday - - also with a Janome! And just like you, I had already solved that particular problem about 2 months ago - by rethreading the machine. But did I remember this time?? NOPE! We must be twins! LOL
    Old 06-20-2011, 03:51 AM

I am sure that you have heard it before but everytime this happens to me all that I can think about is "the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." LOL

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
    How many times have I read all the steps one should go through when there is a *problem* with the machine? It's been seared into my brain from reading the posts (and ahem ... contributing) again and again and again. But did I practice what we (I) preach?

There must have been a bad spot on the bobbin wind and the machine gave me a ka-chunk and rewarded me with spaghetti on the bottom. No problem, snip, remove bobbin, check, go.

Two stitches and had problems again but now the symptoms are worse. Loud noises, seizing, needle refuses to move - etc.

Removed the whole bobbin case, gave it a thorough cleaning, changed the needle, changed the bobbin. Still having serious problems with the machine. Basically I did everything EXCEPT that one all important step.

We have a problem with the bobbin so we concentrate on the bobbin area don't we?

In a state of panic that my beloved Janome was on death's bed I called the dealer and the FIRST thing she asked was ... did I re-thread the machine.

Well of course not!! I'm not a "rookie", I'm an experienced sewer I knew the problem was in the bobbin area so I concentrated all my efforts on the bobbin area now didn't I?

Rookie mistake number 1. Re-thread the whole machine you dope. When the machine hit a bad spot on the bobbin and 'choked' the thread jumped out of the UPPER tension discs and the machine will continue to seize no matter HOW clean and pristine that bobbin area is.

Will I make this mistake again?

probably :)
    Old 06-20-2011, 04:51 AM

Been there - done that!
    Old 06-20-2011, 05:13 AM

Been there and done that more times than I care to admit.