Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Rose of Sharon Block Book by Sharon Pederson, technique question! >
  • Rose of Sharon Block Book by Sharon Pederson, technique question!

• Rose of Sharon Block Book by Sharon Pederson, technique question!

Old 06-07-2011, 06:56 PM

I started playing with a flower on a small block, & I can see I need those much slimmer needles, so will have to get some soon! Wondering if Hancock fabrics carries them, otherwise I will have to check online. Used the rubber cement & had no problem with it! Sharon, thanks for your help & suggestions!
    Old 06-09-2011, 03:53 AM

I think she was trying to say that rubber cement is not environmentally safe.

Originally Posted by happymrs
    Originally Posted by ube quilting
    It is only on the template. Don't worry about it staying in the fabric. It will never touch the fabric. I would rather use any product that is more environmentally safe.
    peace :D
    Is the rubber cement environmentally safe then? Am wondering, the way you wrote it here, lol...thanks!
    Old 06-09-2011, 04:28 AM
    Power Poster

rubber cement stays (pliable) that is probably why she has chosen it for her (tool of choice) some of the glues when dry become very stiff- even crack- so the rubber cement would remedy that. the fumes disipate quickly- and any residue would simply wash away when the quilt is quilted.
    i like using rubber cement for different applications in my sewing room because it remains so pliable-for ever- never gets stiff-or cracks/breaks
    Old 06-09-2011, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
    rubber cement stays (pliable) that is probably why she has chosen it for her (tool of choice) some of the glues when dry become very stiff- even crack- so the rubber cement would remedy that. the fumes disipate quickly- and any residue would simply wash away when the quilt is quilted.
    i like using rubber cement for different applications in my sewing room because it remains so pliable-for ever- never gets stiff-or cracks/breaks

No, if you read her comments the rubber cement does not wash away and stays in the quilt. Rubber cement isn't water soluble. Why use a product that never washes out?? Yuck.

Here... "To answer your final question Fran - the residual rubber cement does not wash out - and so far I've not had any deterioration as a result of it. However, I've only been using it for 25 years and I can't guarantee it for longer than that. At my age I don't really care what happens to it after that. LOL"
    Old 06-09-2011, 10:13 AM

Well, I played with it, did a little block & I am impressed! No lingering smell or anything, so using it doesn't bother me in the least. I just want to buy some smaller sizes of it, as DH loaned me his, & thinner, he uses in his leatherwork & I don't want the big containers hanging around in my studio, lo. But I liked my experience with it! I have to find smaller, finer, machine needles now, some more clear thread, then I can play some more! Oh, & when you remove the freezer paper, you have to push your turned under edges back off the fp a bit, then the paper comes out real easy! Will be even easier once I am using the fine needles, lol... Great technique though, thanks for sharing, Sharon, & for others here who shared their experience with it!...
    (I used the thinner to clean my brush, so I can reuse it, & not have to toss one each time...)
    Old 12-19-2012, 01:34 PM

I took a class with Sharon Pederson and love, love, love her method with rubber cement. I have not had any problems with the whole process. If it is still okay in 25 years, that's good enough for me. I have always had a problem with paint and lacquer smells so was worried about the odor, but didn't have any, even in a small room (my sewing room). I did make one change in that I now use a product by Ricky Tims called Stable Stuff that I use rather than freezer paper. It is less stiff than freezer paper, so is better for those larger or more complicated designs such as Hawaiian or Snowflake or Wreath. And best of all it dissolves almost completely so you don't have to cut the back and tear out any of the template paper. If I hadn't taken the class from Sharon I would not be appliquing today! She is a fantastic teacher! and her method is what brought me to applique.