Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Rotary cutter "guard"? >
  • Rotary cutter "guard"?

• Rotary cutter "guard"?

Old 06-09-2015, 10:39 AM
    Power Poster

I have a Fisherman's Fileting glove. Just happened to be in a sports store and for the price picked it up. my cousin works in a seafood restaurant and uses an oyster shucking glove. I slit the very edge of my index finger the very first time I used it.
    Old 06-09-2015, 08:37 PM

I checked out the link to the Finger Guard ruler and had to read the ad several times as it said it was now $13.46 regularly $11.95. I think I would want it at the regular price. LOL
    Old 06-10-2015, 02:54 AM

After my incident which also involved a Tetnus shot.....make sure that is up to date. They are good for 10 years and with all the times I prick a finger, I thank that I got that. You need the glove from Fons and Porter. After my accident, I went out and purchased it and it has been a wonderful addition to all my quilting cutting daily. I have slipped again when cutting but the glove protected my hand and fingers. I would strongly suggest it. When Jo Ann's had coupons, I purchased a couple more and have them at each of my cutting areas. So sorry about your little "jumper" and your poor finger. You are not alone.
    Old 06-10-2015, 09:07 AM

Where do you buy the Fons and Porter gloves? I went to their website and could not find them.
    Old 11-15-2020, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by quiltinglady54
    Well, it finally happened! I was cutting a border today and my rotary cutter "jumped" the ruler and I ended up slicing into my index finger. Seven stitches and a very sore finger later, I am looking for some sort of guard you place on the ruler so hopefully this won't happen. I saw one online recently, but of course can't remember where. Does anyone know what I am talking about or where I can get one?? Thanks!
    I did this just yesterday. I’ve been using my rotary cutter everyday for at least 5 years. I couldn’t believe it. The cut started on the side of my index finger starting at the first joint, ran up along the side of my nail, then exited at the tip taking some nail with it. The cut was a good 1/2” deep all along the way. I was lucky the ”slab” was not cut off completely. The 6 stitches I received were the most painful thing I’ve ever endured. I now have a rotary ruler cutting guard on the way from Amazon. I never want to go through that again!

go to a Amazon and search for

Dritz 11022 O'LIPFA 22-Inch Safety Shield

Last edited by Bag Maker; 11-15-2020 at 06:41 AM.
    Old 11-15-2020, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2
    I have a klutz glove and always wanted to ask this board if it really does work. Being disable, I have down sized to using the 28mm rotary cutter. I have read on previous posts that any of the shower handles will work on the rulers and are less expensive. Good Luck.
    I use klutz glove.
    Old 11-15-2020, 08:00 AM
    Power Poster

This is an old post but still important. I use Quilter's Slide Lock. I use the shorter one the most but have both sizes. I use it on top of the ruler. I bought my first one from Australia when it was called Rule Steady. Now a US company has the rights to it and it's Quilter's Slidelock. I don't cut without it. For small rulers and templates I use the small round Gypsy Gripper. When I'm cutting away from home I use a glove. Not using a safety device when using a rotary cutter is like driving a car with no seatbelt.
    Old 11-15-2020, 12:20 PM

So sorry about you finger and stitches, I have a glove but have not used it but once. Hope you recover soon!
    Old 11-15-2020, 01:23 PM

When I'm at the cutting table, my back is to the door. I usually can hear DH when he close to my door. I told him about all these accidents and told him when he's on the way to make noise so I'm not alarmed.

More advice...luckily when my sewing machine "bit me" ds was home and he gave me the cell phone so I could call 911 for help. Now I have a phone in it's cradle all the time in case I need help, If your dh is a woodworker make sure he has a phone in his tool belt or pocket. Best to be prepared.
    Old 11-15-2020, 01:56 PM

I place my non-cutting hand at the far edge of the ruler I'm using, with my thumb and pinkie spread and resting on the fabric so the ruler doesn't move. If you find yourself pushing down on the rotary blade to cut, it's probably time to change your blade.

I agree with those who say you need to have a plan in case something happens and you need help. My friend Cindi once sewed through her finger on her longarm. She couldn't reach the power switch or her cell phone, and her husband was downstairs at the other end of the house in the garage. She was stuck for hours until he finally went looking for her. Make a plan, keep your cell phone in your pocket.