Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Rotary Cutter & Mat >
  • Rotary Cutter & Mat

• Rotary Cutter & Mat

Old 05-17-2011, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter
    I use the green self-healing mats as well. If you use your ruler for measuring flip the mat over and use the unmarked side. Doubles the life of your mat.
    Excellent Tip, Thanks so much

:thumbup:
    Old 05-17-2011, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter
    I use the green self-healing mats as well. If you use your ruler for measuring flip the mat over and use the unmarked side. Doubles the life of your mat.
    That only works if you have a double sided mat. not all of them are. I have a A1 pink one which is only single sided. It usually says when you buy it. double sided ones tend to be thicker and heavier
    Old 05-17-2011, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by cheezythequiltmaker
    mats do wear out, especially if you use the lines on your mat to measure rather than the markings on your rular. If you use the markings on your mat you over cut on those lines and this means all the wear is concentrated on the lines. then the blade, however sharp, starts skipping from one channel to another. you only have to look at you LQS cutting table to see the mat of many grooves on the yard and half yard lines.

Learn to use your rulars for measuring it will be more accurate

When a mat does come to the end of its life, I switch it to gluey work and use it as a table protector for other crafts. better than using newspaper.

If you get wadding in the cuts there is a mat smoother you can buy which is relitively expensive but a group could buy one between them, and then you can just take your mat to group and clean it up when it needs it.

The heavy duty mats are better but they still do not like direct heat and need to be kept flat as possible. Once warped they are next to useless for cutting as they are actually dangerous.

Becks
    Thanks for this. I have a mat on my Alsto quilt pro cutting system, and I use the rulers on it all the time. Now I have deep channels on certain lines, and I've been having a lot of trouble getting my blocks to come out with a true quarter inch seam. I think the channels are forcing me to cut the fabric a little off, making my blocks a little off.

So frustrating!

Laurie
    Old 05-17-2011, 06:23 AM

My DD used my mat to cut fleece fringe on. It was a mess. I cleaned it with Dawn and a kitchen (green ) scrubbing pad. It got all the fuzz out of the cuts and healed them up. She did 3 fleece blankets for her soldier friends in AF.
    She was recently home on a 2wk leave. I really miss her.
    Old 05-17-2011, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by granma1
    My DD used my mat to cut fleece fringe on. It was a mess. I cleaned it with Dawn and a kitchen (green ) scrubbing pad. It got all the fuzz out of the cuts and healed them up. She did 3 fleece blankets for her soldier friends in AF.
    She was recently home on a 2wk leave. I really miss her.

Sometimes we just done mind cleaning up after our children. I was cleaning up after my granddaughter went home last week and the whole time I was thinking of her. It seemed a joy not a chore. :)
    Old 05-17-2011, 06:57 AM

I thought that she had ruined my mat. It's the really big one. But everyone on here told me what to do. Then I decided if it was ruined it was a small price to pay for having her here and safe for 2 wks. GOD bless and keep our troops safe.