Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Rotary cutter - which one >
  • Rotary cutter - which one

• Rotary cutter - which one

Old 10-05-2013, 02:47 AM

I don't think the brand matters so much as the blade. I use several different cutters, but only use the Olfa blades.
    Old 10-05-2013, 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by DebraK
    This is the one i use too and love it
    Old 10-05-2013, 04:06 AM

Just as important as the cutter and surface you are using is the mat. A good self healing mat makes a world of difference in how your cutter cuts. I prefer the Olfa mats and with care will last for years. I have that Fiskars cutter among several others. I love my Olfa 60mm with self closing blade. I also have the Martelli 45mm and like it equally as well. Find a good solid surface, table, counter top, small fold up craft table or whatever suits your space. It will make your quilting a much more enjoyable experience. I will also include this link to mat care.
    http://www.generations-quilt-pattern...tting-mat.html
    Old 10-05-2013, 04:21 AM

Default Perhaps it is your mat. When i changed to a "good" mat, it worked like a dream

Originally Posted by Sewnoma
    I use Olfa cutters. I haven't used other brands so can't give you a great comparison, but I like them just fine.

I have the 45mm ergonomic one (like this: http://www.amazon.com/9654-RTY-2-Erg...ds=olfa+rotary)

And I also have a 60mm "quick change". I like that on the ergonomic one, the blade is "automatically" covered when you let go of the handle, but I don't find it any more or less kind on my wrists than the standard-shaped 60mm cutter. With either of them, my wrists do eventually get tired if I'm doing a lot of cutting (or are trying to get a little too much "life" out of a dull blade!)

What is unimpressive about this one? Does it not cut well? Feels awkward? You might have a dull blade, if it's difficult to get through the fabric. A nice sharp rotary blade should glide right through the fabric.
    I was using the self healing cover for my cutting table and when I changed to a true rotary mat, fo more trouble.
    Old 10-05-2013, 04:23 AM

I just have a Fiskars. I'm thinking about getting a different kind myself. So, I'll be looking at this post again.
    Old 10-05-2013, 04:38 AM

I use Olfa cutters with titanium blades which I buy on sale. The Fiskar blades also work on MY Olfa cutter. Please don't bash me if you had a bad experience with Fiskars on Olfa cutters. It works for me. I buy blades whenever I have extra $$ and get whatever brand is on sale.
    Old 10-05-2013, 04:56 AM
    Vat

I hav used several different one over the years, but my favorite is Martelli, but they do take a little getting used to, after that don't think you would go back to anyting elas. They have left or right handed. Their mats are also wonderful. They don't warp !! Martelli is ou of Florida, you can find them on th web.
    Old 10-05-2013, 04:56 AM

Thanks for posting this link-I did not know this about taking care of your mats. I have this same cutter and like it as long as I keep the blades sharp-have not tried any of the others to compare it to though.
    Old 10-05-2013, 05:03 AM

I was given an ergonomic one for my birthday because I have history of carpal tunnel and trigger finger. I have several others but I only use this type now and I love them.
    Old 10-05-2013, 05:03 AM

Those with arthritic hand find the Fiskars too difficult to open and close. Just my opinion. I have always used Olfa and always will. ALL sizes.