Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Rotary Cutters >
  • Rotary Cutters

• Rotary Cutters

Old 12-14-2013, 07:42 PM

Fiskars has a ruler with the blade included, it actually looks like a paper cutter. It only cuts a straight line. However, as she gets older she could advance to the more traditional rulers, cutter, and mat. I got one at Walmart years ago and used it after my hand surgeries.
    Old 12-14-2013, 07:47 PM

i would recommend a ruler with a lip to grip onto the edge of the cutting mat. As well as a safety glove. Not sure, but maybe the ones designed for food service might be a tad more heavy duty than those for quilting???? Not sure. I bought one of those for a friend's older child last near...no clue if she's using it. Mom usually does the cutting. But I think the lip on the ruler would be a great help for her at this point.
    Old 12-14-2013, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by toverly
    I wouldn't recommend it. I know grown women who have cut themselves bad with a rotary cutter. I say choose a pattern and cut them for her. There is plenty of time to learn how to use one. The danger is too great.
    I agree. I told my DGD, age 7, that she can use the rotary cutter when she is 18. I will draw lines for her to cut on. I did get her a good small scissors that she really like.
    Old 12-14-2013, 09:05 PM

Perhaps for now your dgd should use pre-cuts. Rotary cutters are crazy sharp and can slice into a finger in a flash. Probably everyone on the QB has sliced a bit of finger off/up using one. It's not a matter of trusting your dgd, it's a matter of coordination, maturity and safety that makes me suggest pre-cuts. She sounds very mature and focused, but she's still 8.

The precuts could be pre-cut by you or her Mom, or store bought.
    Old 12-14-2013, 09:14 PM

I think that eight years old is too young for an Olfa cutter. The cuts can be so bad with them. One slip and it's off to the ER. A little more practice and it won't be much longer before she will learn to cut straight lines.
    Old 12-14-2013, 11:14 PM

IMO. 8 is too young. If she has trouble with coordination of straight lines with scissors...the rotary cutter is more challenging. My girlfriend, 10 yr experienced, cut the tip of her thumb off - when the rotary cutter jumped off the ruler.

I love the suggestion about pre-cuts. A million items could be created with charm squares. Also a nice pair of scissors will make cutting easier over time as she grows up.
    Old 12-15-2013, 04:59 AM

While the Klutz glove does come in a small, I think that it would really be too big for a child's hand. Moda is coming out with a new tool (called a Sew Easy Ruler and Cutter Combo) that was originally designed by a gal in Australia. Using a 45mm blade, it is actually attached to the ruler, and so there is no 'slipping' with the blade, keeping those fingers safe.

Because we are talking about a child, I would also recommend/see if it's possible (in addition to a good tool) to get a pair of Klutz gloves custom fit to her hand ...

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-28-2013 at 06:55 AM. Reason: remove copyright image and business promotion
    Old 12-15-2013, 05:06 AM

What about getting her a GO or GO Baby?
    Old 12-15-2013, 05:19 AM

My niece also loves quilting (large 7" squares, but they are adorable). Thank you for sharing this tool - I think that you just solved my Christmas dilema!
    Old 12-15-2013, 08:54 AM
    Power Poster

I was also thinking a go or baby go cutter! I would not think a rotary cutter at her age would be a good thing to do!