Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Rotary Cutters >
  • Rotary Cutters

• Rotary Cutters

Old 12-16-2013, 07:20 AM
    Power Poster

I would definitely get a ruler with a guard. She should still be supervised using the rotary cutter (any cutter for that matter).I have see Eleanor Burns with a cutter that has a slide on it. I believe it's called a slide cutter.
    Old 12-16-2013, 09:43 AM

too young for a rotary, pres the seams before she cut
    Old 12-16-2013, 10:08 AM

I think we all, or at least some of us, or at least me, have cut ourselves with our tools. Best teacher ever. Once I did it, I have not done it again. Is 8 years old too young to learn this lesson? It would depend on the child. Some are better learners than others. You can't learn to ride a bike without a bruise or two, sewing is the same, IMHO.
    Old 12-16-2013, 10:36 AM

And remember our forefathers didn't have rotary cutters when they made quilts, so scissors were used back then. She has plenty of time to use the rotary cutter when she is older, they can be dangerous. Tell her to keep up the good work. Maybe she will be famous one day.
    Old 12-16-2013, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Carol34446
    And remember our forefathers didn't have rotary cutters when they made quilts, so scissors were used back then. She has plenty of time to use the rotary cutter when she is older, they can be dangerous. Tell her to keep up the good work. Maybe she will be famous one day.
    Sometimes its best to start at the beginning until its completely mastered. Easier is not better in this case.
    Old 12-16-2013, 12:53 PM

My grandsons (5 & 7)are here in America from Bulgaria for 6 months vacation, this weekend I taught them how to sew a little (made dish towel hangings) I do believe this weekend was the 1st time I have ever told them NO.....they wanted to try to use my rotary cutter!
    Old 12-16-2013, 01:13 PM

Using ruler and marking pencil to mark the lines for cutting will allow the child to use her math skills, I recommend that she use scissors at that age. I don't think she'd have the strength to hold down the ruler and cut with the rotary cutter with the other hand at the same time, also, if the cutting table is not of the right height, there's an even greater risk of being hurt.
    Old 12-16-2013, 02:45 PM

I would ask mom or dad or some adult to cut for her, or consider buy 'precuts' from this site. www.fussycutter.com
    I have bought from her and she cuts very carefully, has a nice selection of precut patterns, and everything I bought from her has a few extra pieces of each cut to allow for a learning curve, or boo boos. Very good quality fabric and reasonable prices too. (I am not related to, nor do I have any stock in this company.) Her services solved my cutting problems for me until I figured out what I was doing wrong. She will even cut your fabric for you!
    Old 12-16-2013, 03:09 PM

I would have to agree with the quilters who say "don't do it." I have an eight-year-old granddaughter who is very responsible. However, there is no way I would let her use a rotary. The minute her mother's back I turned, she will do just about anything that you have told her not to do.
    Second reason is that I thought I was very careful and ended up in the ER because the finger was badly cut. Just the thought of an 8 year old with a rotary scares me.
    Old 12-16-2013, 06:17 PM

One of those cutter ruler made together would be great but i would still keep close watch for a while even with a glove those things are great saved a many fingers mine