Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Roundabout Problem >
  • Roundabout Problem

• Roundabout Problem

Old 07-05-2021, 11:19 AM

How old is the nephew? Could you accent the quilt with some appliques that are age appropriate to cover the worst of the corners? There are so many fun fabrics that can be fussy cut for all age or hobby groups. And, by the way. The points you are agonizing over won't really be noticed once the top has been quilted and washed. We are our own worst critics. Give him this quilt and when you want to, maybe a few years down the road, make him another one. He still won't see anything but the love you put into making the quilts.
    Old 07-05-2021, 02:33 PM

See, this is why I love this forum so much, if you need help, you get it in spades.

I am going to rip the seams and srart over, I think thats going to be the best option. I've already started to deconstruct, too many seams are wrong and I think if i were to do anything else, the same problem is going to come back to haunt me. Plus, I can work on my points more. Leave it to me, I have pinwheels in my sister's quilt. If anything, by the time I'm done with these quilts, I'm going to be a master at it.

I will post an update later, thank you guys, you rock!
    Old 07-06-2021, 03:00 AM

Have you tried pressing your seams open? It should help with the bulk in the center, be sure to shorten your stitch length if you do. Kimberly Jolly of the Fat Quarter Shop has a great video, (you can skip to 3:27) for how she deals with bulk. Also, if you are going to remake your corner triangles don’t be afraid to oversize them a bit for more wiggle room when trimming down, you’ve got this and either way it’s gonna be a treasured gift and a labor of love for your nephew.

https://youtu.be/aYLIVgDaChU

Last edited by tallchick; 07-06-2021 at 03:02 AM.
    Old 07-07-2021, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by tallchick
    Have you tried pressing your seams open? It should help with the bulk in the center, be sure to shorten your stitch length if you do. Kimberly Jolly of the Fat Quarter Shop has a great video, (you can skip to 3:27) for how she deals with bulk. Also, if you are going to remake your corner triangles don’t be afraid to oversize them a bit for more wiggle room when trimming down, you’ve got this, and either way, it’s gonna be a treasured gift and a labor of love for your nephew.

https://youtu.be/aYLIVgDaChU
    I've been thinking about pressing the seams open as I rip the stitches, I think it's easier to align the seams better, plus I've noticed that my machine just doesn't like that much bulk and it did cause me some issues when I worked on this the first time. I hadn't thought about shortening the stitch length, I'll be sure to do that.

I like the idea of the corner triangles, I think I'll leave them the size they are now, attach them when it's time and then trim them down on the block. I think I may have to cut a few new corner triangles, but luckily I ordered a tad more background fabric than I needed.